Pi4B blink code "unsupported board type"

What is the problem?

I decided to move from my Pi Zero to a Pi4 for my Octoprint server. I used Etcher to create a fresh install from the latest image, then edited the octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt just like I did for the zero. When I boot the Pi4 it just settles into a mode where the onboard green LED flashes 4 long flashes then 4 short. Looking at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/led_blink_warnings.md I discovered this equates to "Unsupported board type". Per my understanding, this board is supported with Octoprint.

What did you already try to solve it?

• Burned the image to the SD card again
  • Downloaded the image again
  • Looked for log files on SD card that might indicate fault
  • Searched the internet

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

I am unable to establish an SSH connection as the machine is not booting.

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

• Using version octopi-buster-lite-0.17.0
  • Powered directly using certified power supply
  • Not hooked to any printer currently
  • Samsung 32GB Evo Plus SD card

The Raspberry Pi 4 comes in different models. The 1, 2 and 4 GB models are supported out of the box by octopi 0.17; the 8 GB model is not. See this thread: Octoprint on a pi4 8gb

This was it...I found it last night. Thank you for the help!

Hi,
I have a Pi 4 2GB and successfully installed the Octopi 0.17 and got it working fine, I then did an apt update and then it would not reboot, all I was getting was the 4 long and 4 short flashes ?

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Phil

Hey @gadjet
You can refer to this post (I know it is long, but this is where I got the info below from)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58151

The 4 long 4 short indicates unsupported board - from the table in the above guide

Long flashes	Short flashes	Status
0		3		Generic failure to boot
0		4		start*.elf not found
0		7		Kernel image not found
0		8		SDRAM failure
0		9		Insufficient SDRAM
0		10		In HALT state
2		1		Partition not FAT
2		2		Failed to read from partition
2		3		Extended partition not FAT
2		4		File signature/hash mismatch - Pi 4
4		4		Unsupported board type
4		5		Fatal firmware error
4		6		Power failure type A
4		7		Power failure type B

You might have ended up with some kind of corruption there, although I would have thought that might have ended up with a different code.

You might be better off creating a new topic, since it is not the same problem as the above topic

1 Like