PIP Command cannot be found

What is the problem?

When starting up my OctoPi for the first time in a couple of weeks I cannot update to the latest build, or update any of my plugins. I get a message in the Plugin Manager saying:
"The pip command could not be found or does not work correctly for this installation of OctoPrint - please consult the log file for details and if necessary configure it manually. No installation and uninstallation of plugin packages is possible while pip is unavailable."

What did you already try to solve it?

I searched the Help section for this problem. Two similar issues were logged, but one was closed because the systeminfo bundle wasn't included, and the other seems to have been a problem in the user's Linux system.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No.

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

octoprint-systeminfo-20231204190709.zip (97.8 KB)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version 1.9.2, Python 3.7.3 OctoPi version 0.18.0 running on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3, Ender 3 Pro, Marlin, Accessing via ip address in Google Chrome running on Windows 11 system

I'm running manually "octoprint serve" in the command line, so I can see the logs directly in the console and there I see for example:

2023-12-10 18:01:56,829 - octoprint.util.pip - INFO - Using "/opt/octoprint-venv/bin/python3 -m pip" as command to invoke pip
2023-12-10 18:01:56,829 - octoprint.util.pip - INFO - pip installs to /opt/octoprint-venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages (writable -> no), --user flag needed -> no, virtual env -> yes
2023-12-10 18:01:56,829 - octoprint.util.pip - INFO - ==> pip ok -> NO!
2023-12-10 18:01:56,829 - octoprint.util.pip - ERROR - Cannot use this pip install, can't write to the install dir and also can't use --user for installing. Check your setup and the permissions on /opt/octoprint-venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages.

This tells me the corresponding folder is not writeable. Check the logs of your octoprint to see what's causing "pip ok -> NO".

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I've looked thru the log, but I'm not experienced in coding or interpreting this stuff... I open the log in Notepad++, is there a term I should do a search for? And if/when I find something, I'm sure changing the log wouldn't fix it... Might be getting ahead of myself, but how would I fix whatever is giving me the "pip ok -> no" you brought up?

Again, I appreciate the help!

Did you find "pip ok -> NO"?

Nope. Searched for "pip ok -> no" and "pip ok" and didn't find anything...

The point of checking the log is to figure out what's causing the issue. Only then you can say what needs to be done to "fix it".

Maybe restart "octoprint serve" in the command line and make sure you copy paste all the logs, that you don't miss the "pip ok" line.

I was able to finally get back to looking into my issue with pip and my OctoPrint. I restarted the OctoPi and it booted up without issue, aside from still saying pip command cannot be found and therefore not allowing me to update any plugins. I downloaded the full system info bundle and extracted all of the files into a folder on my desktop. I then used Notepad++ to do a search through ALL of the files in that directory for "pip ok", and the search came back empty. I did a search for "pip" and most of the results were from "disable-pip-version-check" in the pluginmanager_console log.
I'm seriously considering backing up by installation of OctoPrint and generating a brand new build on a new SD card then loading the backed up installation. My only worry with this is that I'll just load my issue with the backup, lol.
Any further tips or hints on where to possibly find "pip ok -> no" would be greatly appreciated!

See here where to find the log files: Where can I find OctoPrint's and OctoPi's log files?

He already did?

I had a look on your systeminfo bundle in your first post (Is there a newer one?)

OctoPrint is not able to completely start. It locks up during the start of PrintJobHistory.

Please log into OctoPrint via SSH and start in safe mode, disable PrintJobHistory and start again.

Thank you for the tip, I will give this a try after work today. I'm crossing my fingers it's as simple as this to fix!

Ewald may not have had his morning coffee as you don't log into OctoPrint via SSH :crazy_face:

You log into OctoPi with SSH and into OctoPrint with a browser. Once you are logged in via a browser, click the "power" icon at the top and select "Restart OctoPrint in safe mode".

2 Likes

Was only a half mug....

1 Like

So I've gone through this SO many times that I'm getting tired of it. I'm now considering backing up my Octoprint installation to my home PC, and formatting the SD card in my OctoPi, installing an up-to-date version and restoring the backup. Will this just "copy-and-paste" my pip issue, or would this fix my issue?