Platform that Octoprint runs on

What is the problem?

I am a first time 3D printer user and I have heard Octoprint mentioned in several videos. I've read the information I could find on the web page, but nothing tells me what platform it can run on. Can it only run on a Raspberry Pi or can it also run on a Windows PC?

What did you already try to solve it?

WRITE HERE

Have you tried running in safe mode?

WRITE HERE

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

WRITE HERE

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

WRITE HERE

OctoPrint can theoretically run on any device that supports Python, and has the serial hardware to communicate with the printer. Most - if not all - hardware that runs Windows can certainly also run OctoPrint. OctoPrint can run on Windows, but Linux has a better reputation for being stable; it will not suddenly decide a restart to install updates. One of the additional advantages of a Raspberry Pi is that it does not require much power (electricity). Typically you will use the Raspberry Pi only for OctoPrint, further adding to the stability of the system.

OctoPrint is intended to be used as a "headless server"; you access the interface over the network, and most people do not even have a screen or keyboard attached to the computer that runs OctoPrint. But you can also use the "host" computer to access the interface if you want (at the possible cost of less stability; the more you do/run on the host, the higher the chance something will crash/interfere with the print).

If you want to set up OctoPrint on a Windows PC, see this guide: Setting up OctoPrint on Windows

1 Like

Thank you. I've just gotten my 3D printer a week or so ago and haven't even had the chance to use it. First, it didn't come with an SD card, so I had to purchase one and then find .stl images that I wanted to use. Then find a slicer I like, currently I'm using Cura, but I'm looking at other possibilities. Then, when I went to level the base plate, I found that the book that came with it, doesn't even give me the correct instructions on how to level the base, I had to go online to find it. So, I'm hoping to make my first test print sometime in the next 2 weeks. Life happens and it gives me very little spare time.