Possible octoprint hacking attempt?

Ignore the thread, Gina.

SonOfCthulu: post more info, or you can send the sd card to my privacy-protected mailbox in the USA. Otherwise I'll shut this thread down and/or ban your account.

3 Likes

I swear this isn't a troll attempt - I will go ahead and get you a copy of the SD but I do fear that a certain wallet address might be stored on it; and I don't want to be giving that up- Can I video conference with someone to give them the full details? This most definitely is not at all the fault of OctoPrint, it is the best open source software I have ever dealt withNullI am not pointing fingers at all - My logic here is that Gina and her team might be the ones to help seal up this hole and help me trace down this thing; One thing is certain - my cable modem is tapped and is split off into another apartment on this complexNull But why target OctoPrint?

1 Like

This is quite a big deal, so I am being as vague as possible until I can actually get someone on a line (I think it has something to do with the lightning network) so Ive kept it off and in evidence

I'm not promising I can find it, but if you trust Gina, she trusts me, and I'm willing to at least look at it to see what is going on, and I wouldn't fuss with your wallet.

You can send it to:

tedder
818 SW 3rd Ave #221-4545
Portland OR 97204 USA

I can at least safely mount it and explore and see what's going on. Worst case, you are out postage and an SD card. Otherwise there isn't much we can do here to help, as you've seen everyone is confused because you haven't provided info that makes any sense.

1 Like

As I would say to my students "...and what did you learn...?"

1. Start over on your OctoPi installation
  2. Don't port-forward or issue your printer a public address
  3. Live a happy life
  4. Repeat

Feel free to follow your cable back to the point where you think it's been tapped or t'd off and fix that. But then again, you've suggested that you have a firewall so... that doesn't make too much sense if you think about it.

1 Like

This thread is boarder line epic. My only hope is that tedder gets the SD card and can report back with what is going on

6 Likes

A little bit of googling gave me some potential insight to a small amount of what was being said (I think)

A "lightning Network" is a term that is somehow connected to the use of Bitcoin, so is the term "Wallet"

However, my googling ALSO said that a "wallet" is something that you would specifically NOT want to have any connection whatsoever to the internet. In fact, it's no longer useful AS a wallet if it IS connected to the internet (I think, I admit to knowing less than nothing about bitcoin)

If he's on a lightning network, it would seem that there would HAVE to be connections to other computers in order to share the bitcoin data

You would need somebody familiar with bitcoin to tell us more about this part

"under the surface in the octoprint" might mean that he used the SD card as a "wallet" before he put octoprint on it, and he's concerned that a "hacker" (I hate that term, nobody ever uses it correctly) might find some way to undelete it... while octoprint was running, and over a network (which, quite honestly, would be a neat trick)

as to the rest of his entertaining and confusing story, well, it sounds like he somehow monkeyed with his keyboard so that all the keys aren't in the right place (I think)

And the word "Null" is also slightly confusing, but, I believe to be part of his monkeying with his keyboard, so that the word "Null" gets typed when a certain key is pressed. I don't think it's supposed to be a word per se, but, rather, a coding function

The next thing I thought about was the word "herded" that he used. He also said that he was German, so I put the word "herded" into a translator and came up with the word gehütet, then I translated it back into English, and came up with the word "protected", which makes more sense, but is now gibberish in two languages

2 Likes

If you liked this thread, you should read the set of three books by Stieg Larsson with their English-version titles:

• The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
  • The Girl Who Played With Fire
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

I'm about half-way through the last one now.

3 Likes

The tangled webs we weave :]

I read the first in german the second in english and the last in swedish

the first one i lend from a friend
Book 4 meh (stopped reading it ) the 5th i have not bought yet.

can this win best post of 2018? null

2 Likes

My good friend wiki used telepathy and a hacked ICQ account to tell me that Larsson died after the third book was publishedNULL.

Larsson left about three quarters of a fourth novel on a notebook computer, now possessed by his partner, Eva Gabrielsson: synopses or manuscripts of the fifth and sixth in the series, which he intended to comprise an eventual total of ten books, may also exist.[21] Gabrielsson has stated in her book, "There Are Things I Want You to Know" About Stieg Larsson and Me (2011) that she is capable of finishing the book.[22]

Det som inte dödar oss (in german "Verschwörung" in english "The Girl in the Spider's Web") and Mannen som sökte sin skugga

1 Like

I'm wondering if yer inferring something here...

Hi @Spyder, when I see your avatar, I have to think of this:
grafik

I'm implying that the OP has about as much intrigue as a Larsson novel.

1 Like

I can’t tell whether to be humbled or offended :slight_smile:

interesting, second recommendation I got for that trilogy ... have the pdf's ready just need to finish something else first :)... one question for those that read the books, there was a movie "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" - how it relates tot he book?

It's the corresponding movie to the first of the series and seems to have a feel for the fast-paced nature of the detective story. Admittedly, the first book had a slow start and all the books have a character list which probably needs a score card to keep track of.

The protagonist is less than 5' tall in the books and as an adult is described as a rail-thin, doll-like girl. The actress Rooney Mara who plays Lisbeth would be taller than this by a long shot.

Stick with the book past the first quarter so that you can tell where this is going.