Print times are very long

What is the problem?
My models are taking 2-4x longer than estimated to print. Also models are not showing in the model viewer

What did you already try to solve it?
Tried adjusting settings no the slicer. Reduced the print time estimates and total print time but not the disparity. Small models are taking 10+hrs to print

Logs no errors to log

Additional information about your setup Im using a Micro 3D printer, running the iMe firmware. Latest Cura slicing software. I run octoprint on a windows machine NOT RASBERRY PI. Printer runs COMM 4 115200 I would like to upload a gcode file for you here but dont know how

Here are two of the gcode files

This took 11hrs est 3.5

This took 15hrs est 4

Has this always been the way your setup acts or is it new behavior? I loaded your Owlbear model into OctoPrint on my Kossel and it's estimating 4h15m. The model does show up in the gcode viewer, but it takes it a bit to load -- to be expected with a ~10M model.

When it's printing is your printer jerky or pausing between layers or anything like that or is it very smooth and just slow overall?

1 Like

I have only been using Octoprint for 1 or 2 weeks now. My Octoprint estimates the time at about 4 hrs but it took about 11 hrs. The machine seems smooth overall.

Is a 10MB Gcode file overly large? This is all realatively new to me. Ive used the M3d for a while now>4 years but only with their software. recently I wanted to improve my prints and supports as I have started printing these minis. So I researched how to use better software like Cura and Slic3r with my M3D. So it could be somtings with my slicing I guess but Im not sure how. Thanks for your help

If it's operating smoothly and just taking longer than expected, it's likely the settings on your slicer. Personally, I use Slic3r.

In Print Settings, check out the Speed section:

Also be sure to check the Overrides section of you Filament Settings as you can throttle the overall speed there as well:
Keep in mind that you can set a different volumetric throttle for each filament profile, so you should set your overall print settings to the overall speed/quality trade-off that you want and then if you come by specific filament that is particularly fussy, you can use that filament profile's volumetric override to slow things down without having to mess up your printer settings that work for everything else.

Oh yeah -- you'll also want to check your Feed Rate in OctoPrint's Control tab. That control is a multiplier on the move speed your slicer sends. Unless you have a good reason to set them to something else, both Feed and Flow should be set to 100% to just pass through whatever rates your slicer sends.

1 Like

Another thought: maybe the max speeds & acceleration as defined on the printer itself, are lower than what slicer is using?

I've always thought that this wasn't supposed to be accurate? My Octoprint estimates are always wildly different to what the LCD of my Prusa MK3S displays. The Prusa estimates are always spot on, but Octoprint is waaay off. I just assumed that Octoprint uses a simple algorithm (like gcode sent so far compared to total scaled to time taken so far) whereas the printer actually accurately simulates the gcode times.....

I have tried changing print speeds and it doesnt change actual print time. Also seb you were correct max speed for this machine is 45 so some errors were based off actual vs called for speed but when I fixed that it still took 3-4x projected time. Clearly this isnt a simple fix so I just plan 4x the est and it works out. Thanks everyone

OctoPrint-PrintTimeGenius makes the estimates much better.