Printer goes to corner and extrudes filament

First: Thank you for helping out. I am at a loss here, I really appriciate it :slight_smile:

Slicer (name, version, operating system)
Cura, 5.2.1, windows 11
What is the problem?
In most prints that I have started, the printer sends the nozzle to the far right corner and starts extruding rapidly in a back and fourth pattern of extrudes and retracts. Once it gets in into this mode, it does nothing else. It extrudes so fast that the extruder will skip, even though I have a .6 nozzle on. The X,Y and Z does not seem to even try to make any movement.
This happened the first time after I upgraded to havning dual steppers on the Z-azis, but all axes appear to run freely and the update involved no software changes anywhere in the setup so I can't really see a connection there.

What did you already try to solve it?
Updated octoprint was all I could think of. Didn't help.

Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ... no logs, no support)
Here u go. Last print started is an example of the issue, but there should be more in there more.
octoprint-logs.zip (2.9 MB)

Example GCODE file
This is an example that triggered the error. It was caused by other prints as well.
CE3E3V2_afstandsstykke til 2020 v1.gcode (484.5 KB)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware...)
Latest octoprint running on a a raspberry Pi 3b. Ender 3 with Marlin on a BTT skr mini e3 v3.

1 Like

First PLEASE turn of debugging. It blows up the the log (from 1393 lines to 32939 lines). It costs CPU time, overfills the log and the SD card.

Then: PLEASE always upload the systeminfo bundle. It contains more information.

Please run in safe mode. Is the Smart Filament sensor ok, correctly wired?

If you have an issue of this kind, it's hardly to say it's an slicer issue. (So I moved).
Its hard to say what

is without the coordinates. So how to find a "far right corner" in a18000 line long gcode file?

More interesting would be the gcode scrips you have set up in OctoPrint.

Then additional flaws with your printer:

BLtouch error:

2023-03-09 16:41:20,732 - octoprint.util.comm - WARNING - Received an error from the printer's firmware: !! STOP called because of BLTouch error - restart with M999
| Last lines in terminal:
| Recv: Not SD printing
| Recv: echo:busy: processing
| Recv:  T:223.71 /225.00 B:49.73 /50.00 @:117 B@:33
| Recv: X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:5.00 E:0.00 Count X:-28200 Y:0 Z:2000
| Recv:  T:223.65 /225.00 B:49.56 /50.00 @:119 B@:42
| Recv:  T:224.00 /225.00 B:49.80 /50.00 @:116 B@:33
| Recv: X:161.00 Y:127.00 Z:5.00 E:0.00 Count X:12880 Y:10160 Z:2000
| Recv:  T:224.04 /225.00 B:49.79 /50.00 @:116 B@:35
| Recv: Error:!! STOP called because of BLTouch error - restart with M999

Serial communication issues:

2023-03-09 16:57:36,531 - octoprint.util.comm - ERROR - Unexpected error while reading from serial port
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.7/site-packages/octoprint/util/comm.py", line 3997, in _readline
    ret = self._serial.readline()
  File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.7/site-packages/octoprint/util/comm.py", line 6672, in readline
    c = self.read(1)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.7/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 596, in read
    'device reports readiness to read but returned no data '
serial.serialutil.SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)
2023-03-09 16:57:36,535 - octoprint.util.comm - ERROR - Please see https://faq.octoprint.org/serialerror for possible reasons of this.

Thermal runaway with the extruder. The target temperature can't be reached.

2023-03-10 06:18:40,634 - octoprint.util.comm - WARNING - Received an error from the printer's firmware: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: E0 -
| Last lines in terminal:
| Recv:  T:199.72 /220.00 B:17.57 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
| Recv: X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:-1.08 E:0.00 Count X:0 Y:0 Z:0
| Recv:  T:200.81 /220.00 B:17.45 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
| Recv:  T:202.34 /220.00 B:17.64 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
| Recv:  T:204.18 /220.00 B:17.61 /0.00 @:127 B@:0
| Recv: Error:Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: E0
| Recv: 

Hi Ewald,

Thank you for your reply. It worked.

The log file go back quite a while and spans several modifications to the printer, so going back you will find all sorts of issues in it, most of them are resolved. The temperature issue happens because the PID settings aren't quite as finetuned as they could be. The automatic tuning doesn't work for some reason so I had to set PID manually by trial and error. If fails sometimes, but it's only an issue when I reheat from a high temperature, and I can live with that.

The BL-touch issue is also solved.

And as for the issue I asked for help with, you gave sufficient pointers for me to find the reason which appears to be that I had disconnected the filament sensor and turned the plugin off in octoprint. I did not connect the dots because the issue didn't seem to relate. Connecting the sensor again seems to remove the issue.

Oh bummer, that only revealed another issue.

It appears the Z axis doesn't move as it should, but only when shifting layers. The first layer is as pretty and smooth as can be, but on the next layer, the printer just squishes the same filament all over the place because it doesn't increase the Z. Once it gets to the third layer, the ridges are so tall that the printer produces a rattling sound when the nozzle go over them.

Here's what I tried to do to fix it:
Check tension on the tightening bolts. They seem fine.
Check that the printer can freely move on all axes. It can.
It moves exactly 100 mm. on Z when I tell it to do so (so the steps pr mm setting seems fine)
The horizontal bar is level with the rest of the frame
The bed is fairly level with the horizontal bar. (after the above was checked)
BL touch causes the Z to do an oscillating movement while movement happens on X and Y. That movement does in fact cause the Z to go up and down. I can feel the V slot wheels on moving and also, if it didn't, the first layer wouldn't be very nice.

In the gcode file, I find this comment: ;LAYER:1
I assume this tells me that a layer is done at this stage and the code after is for the next layer. I would expect to see an instruction to increase the Z-hight right around there. But I don't see it. ...but then again, I haven't read that much gcode in my life - is that the issue? I use Cura. I don't think I have messed with anything that could cause this. In fact, I am not sure what setting could cause this.

I've included a fresh set of logs (info level this time) and the system info as well as the gcode for the print. What could be wrong?!

octoprint-logs (1).zip (24.2 KB)
octoprint-systeminfo-20230311110736.zip (2.7 MB)

Can you upload the zipped gcode file?

Here you go, but I had to delete the last 25% to get it under the 4mb limit. The more effective compression formats are note accepted in this forum nor are split zip files.

CE3E3V2_ML4_-v75-_pin.zip|attachment (3.8 MB)

The gcode looks fine.

Next we can try:
Enable the serial.log (<- see the link how to), start again a print an upload the actual systeminfo bundle. It will contain a serial log with information what is happening on the connection from the Pi to the printer.

Okay, here you go. I made a print again (that failed, same as the otheres) but with serial.log enabled. I let it run as long as I could until I thought the printer might start taking damage. I think it got to something like layer 6.

octoprint-systeminfo-20230312075501.zip (935.4 KB)

The Z-levels are sent properly.

I assume the printer does the lifting at the start of the print?

For it is a Creality printer try with/without the SD card in the printer's SD card slot.

It does lift at the start of the print as well as through the BL touch routine. It also lifts the Z while printing too, since it causes z to go up and down all the time. The rods rotate when it does and the guide wheels for Z rotate. It just doesn't change layers.

Putting an SD card in the printer and printing with it there did not produce any noticeable changes.

Does it print properly from the SD card?

If not, there can be a hardware issue like too much play in the z axes.

While I waited for your response, out of sheer desperation, I downloaded the Prusa-slicer and started a print with whatever vanilla-settings it came with. It's on layer 10 almost twice as far as I have gotten with any of the above trials and it looks beautiful so far.

Prior to starting this post, I printed in Cura with default settings to see if any modifications I had made were to blame. It didn't prompt me to save any settings that mattered before I switched, but the issue persisted. So in other words, things evidence is pointing to the slicer now...?

It's all a bit puzzling, because you said you saw the commands to increase Z between layers in the gcode, right? (what you said was that it looks fine, but I assume that was what you were looking for...?)

I don't really feel like learning the UI of Prusa if it's not for any other reason than this, so I guess my next step will be to re-install the printer in Cura and if that doesn't work, reinstall Cura itself. I have modified the printer install to some extend, but not when I did the last upgrade that seemed to trigger this issue.

I'll update here for future readers.

2 Likes

It appears the issue was in Cura. Reinstalling it fixed everything and my prints are pretty as can be. Thank you a million times for helping out with this!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.