Printer Notifications sidebar entries make no sense

What is the problem?

Printer notifications sidebar shows printer notifications, which in my case shows a bunch of truncated and random entries which make no sense. There's hundreds per hour, most of them gibberish or pseudo-gibberish.

What did you already try to solve it?

There is nothing that I can think of to resolve this. It's not an issue necessarily, more of an annoyance.

Complete Logs

Not applicable. This is about a visual notification.

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version 1.4.2, OctoPi version 0.17.0, printer Creality CR 10 MAX, firmware TinyMachines 3D 2.0.5, browser Chrome 85, operating system Windows 10 X64 1909

Here's an excerpt of notifications:

2020-08-21 11:20
TM3D Max Ready.
2020-08-21 11:23
d (min temp
2020-08-21 11:24
Bed Cooling...
Printing...
(min temp
2020-08-21 11:26
Printing...
2020-08-21 11:26
ause
2020-08-21 11:37
mm):
2020-08-21 11:42
Error writing to EEPROM!
2020-08-21 11:47
Error writing to EEPROM!
2020-08-21 11:52
in temp
2020-08-21 11:53
Error writing to EEPROM!

As seen above, the bold entries make no sense, also I am getting a ton of "Error writing to EEPROM!" messages.
The printer works fine, prints without a hitch, there is no issue with it. But notifications are garbled and they go on and on, pages after pages, for a long print the Octoprint window becomes humongously long.
Anyone else encountered this behavior?

Could you perhaps post a screenshot so we know what notifications you are talking about? Are they provided by a plugin?

Sure thing.

These come from a plugin called "Action Command Notification Support" which is bundled inside OctoPrint, so not something that I might have installed separately.

https://docs.octoprint.org/en/maintenance/bundledplugins/action_command_notification.html

Can you enable serial.log, reproduce the issue and post it please! As far as I understood, it only triggered on //action:notification prompts from the firmware, but I might take a look at the source to see what is going on there, if it is clear from the log.
Thanks!

1 Like

Sure thing, here's the serial.log upon printing a food holder for my rodents.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MTicjg4m3VA_V1Hd41PnMalteV-R4q-y/view?usp=sharing
It contains action:notification entries and most of them make no sense.

Thanks,

war4peace

Apologies, but I'm not with my laptop this weekend so can't easily take a dive into the log & plugin source.
If you say it has the action: notification littered throughout, then I would have to assume that's a firmware issue? But then how does it generate these random notifications? Some of them seem to make sense, but the others not :thinking:

I guess that's the 100 dollars question.
I am using TinyMachines3D firmware for the Creality CR 10 MAX from this page:

The printer works perfectly, and I don't know how or why is it generating these notification. Unfortunately the plugin does not allow collapsing notification or restricting them to a scrollable box, therefore after several hours of printing the Octoprint sidebar extends downwards by several dozen pages of gibberish notifications.
The notifications only gather while printing, if the printer is idle there are no notifications being generated.

So I was wondering if anyone else has this issue, or whether the plugin could at least be adjusted to limit its vertical size.
Of course, I could disable the plugin completely, but I'd rather help troubleshooting and understanding what happens and why.

Logs are always applicable. In this case, for example, octoprint.log would help to be able to see what plugins you have installed.

Looking at your serial log, it looks like your firmware is for some reason spewing random strings. There does not seem to be rime or reason for this. It is misbehaving. Have you tried stock firmware instead of the 3rd party firmware?

Yes, I have started with stock firmware, and to be honest I paid no attention to notifications, probably because they wouldn't extend for many pages. This only started occurring with the new firmware.
As I already said, I don't mind disabling the plugin, rather this is about figuring out why the notifications make no sense. I guess it's a TM3D firmware issue, I'll let them know and they can take a look. Or not. Up to them.

Now that I know why it happens, I know what to do next :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your responses!

Just a kind of FYI:
I just remembered this issue, so I thought I'd fix it. In the next OctoPrint release there is a max height on the scrollable area:

Thank you, that would be awesome!
I have raised a ticket with TM3D but heard only crickets. So I have disabled the plugin for now. I will re-enable it once the enhancement is implemented.

1 Like