Printer stops melting material after about 10 layers

What is the problem?

I'm new pretty new to Octoprint so please forgive me if I am not able to explain something very well, or I don't know what something is.

My printer will only print about 10 layers of a print, it will then stop melting material and almost acts like it's jammed. When I start new print it prints those first layers without any problem, and it will extrude material if I just heat the nozzle. When the printer would start to print the temperature was dropping about 10Β° below the target temp I assumed it was because I had recently installed a steel nozzle.

What did you already try to solve it?

I increased the target temperature so even when it dropped it stayed well within the melting temperature of PLA, but this did not solve the issue. I played around with the temperature and got it stabilized, but no change. I had someone else write my G code and still the problem persisted.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

No, I don't know what that is

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

N/A

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible
I'm running Octoprint off a Smoothieboard, sorry I cannot remember the versions, I don't have the printer right now, but I can get that info soon.

Hello @Zerion299 !

When you write a post, right to the edit window there is the preview window. Some words appear to be blue (like safe mode) Those are links to help you get more informations on such words.

If you are running OctoPrint 1.60 or later, please share the systeminfo bundle file.
If you are before 1.6.0, you can share logs individually.

The gcode file would be very useful here, as would an (enabled) serial.log. Something is likely telling the printer to start cooling down, but the question is what.

1 Like

Are there any messages on the printer's display when the tool heating turns off? I've seen something similar, tool temp rising above target temp, then drop below some margin and then the heating switched off and extrusion stopped. But the printer messaged a problem then.

1 Like

94% certain you have a jam/leak/clog in your hot end. Also, Steel nozzles require a 10C boost over brass to provide enough heat. If it's always at 10 layers, that's often about when the part fan has turned on AND starts to drag down the nozzle temp.

1 Like

Right I gave it the temperature boost and it was still happening, so I turned my fan off and the temperature didn't drop but it still stopped melting material. It acts like it's jammed but I can pause the print and extrude material so I'm not sure what's going on.
Thanks for the reply.

That's exactly what happens but I don't get any messages. Well I eventually turned off my fan and the temperature no longer drops but it still quits printing.
Thanks for the reply.

@Ewald_Ikemann and @Charlie_Powell I will get the logs as soon as possible. Here is the G code.
Thanks.

D_2 inch test cube no fan 220.gcode (412.3 KB)