Printing from SD via obico

What is the problem?

I can't work out how to print from SD, I click "initialise SD" in the octoprint interface (via Obico) but my SD files don't appear.

What did you already try to solve it?

Nothing, but I'm sure I've managed it before

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Not applicable

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

Not applicable

Systeminfo Bundle

browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/117.0
connectivity.connection_check: 1.1.1.1:53
connectivity.connection_ok: True
connectivity.enabled: True
connectivity.online: True
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: True
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1800.0
env.hardware.ram: 8190754816
env.os.bits: 64
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_check_enabled: True
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_check_functional: True
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x50000
env.python.pip: 22.3.1
env.python.version: 3.9.2
env.python.virtualenv: True
octoprint.last_safe_mode.date: unknown
octoprint.last_safe_mode.reason: unknown
octoprint.safe_mode: False
octoprint.version: 1.9.1

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

WRITE HERE

To clarify: You are talking about the SD card in your printer?

Yes, initialise mounts the card, but the "upload" the option remains greyed out. Printer is a wanaho duplicator i3 v1 (marlin).

Remote upload to SD is the missing link in my procedure for remote printing (e.g. power on, slice, upload, print, power down again - all over the network) - My connection is just not reliable enough to print multi-hour prints from printer memory. I get connection failures in about 1 in 20 prints. I'm therefore currently printing prints over an hour long from the SD card (manually, using the machine's interface).

I've checked and the "feature" in Octoprint to Enable SD is ticked.

I also saw from much older threads that some folk with marlin boards tweaked their octoprint config.yaml to add "assume SD card present" - but not sure whether that was an old fix?

Would it help if I grabbed a serial log (like mentioned here)?

Your printers firmware may not allow you to write to the SD remotely. Another thought is what size is the SD card and did you format it as FAT32, exFAT etc?

Yes, a serial.log always helps a ton when facing issues in printer communication, and OctoPrint not recognizing that the firmware supports SD cards certainly is such an issue.

Be aware that "Upload to SD" is, to be kind, a less than optimal solution. Each line of the gcode file is passed over the USB serial connection just like it would be if printed directly so its only slightly faster.

"Sneaker net" is going to be much faster.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.