Problem connecting with E3V2

What is the problem?

OP says printer will not respond.

What did you already try to solve it?

Played with settings.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)
octoprint-systeminfo-20220314151422.zip (43.8 KB)

Here is what I get in terminal
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Opening serial connection"
Connecting to port /dev/ttyUSB0, baudrate 115200
Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial connection" to "Connecting"
Connected to: Serial<id=0x710b5810, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyUSB0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Send: N0 M110 N0125
No answer from the printer within the connection timeout, trying another hello
Send: N0 M110 N0
There was a timeout while trying to connect to the printer
Changing monitoring state from "Connecting" to "Offline"
Connection closed, closing down monitor

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Running this firmware.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

UPDATE:
I installed new firmware from the manufacturer to see if it was a firmware issue from here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bt006KFDnRJG4FOcd8yXniYVLFXKBFBi
It did connect but everything was in Chinese and I was greeted with this error.
Warning: Firmware Broken

Your printer's firmware is known to have a broken implementation of the communication protocol. This may cause print failures or other annoyances. You'll need to take additional steps for OctoPrint to fully work with it.

Looks like it is bad programming. Again...
So the next question is where do I get quality firmware with great features in English that works with OctoPrint?
This is a Ender 3 V2 with a 4.2.2 board and a CR touch.

Thanks.

Hello Jamr,

More often the programming is not the problem but the configuration is. Marlin is the firmware used for the majority of 3d printers and it has a lot of settings. And Creality has quite the reputation for compiling firmware from Marlin that makes problems.

The settings are done in text files and then compiled into the firmware binary. So that makes it hard for you when you hunt for a binary that fits all your needs, printer model, language, features etc. And even if you find it for now but in a few months you feel like adding something or want to tweak the config a little.

The alternative is to actually build the firmware bin yourself. A bit of a learning curve but there are many helpful websites. Search for 'Compile Marlin for Ender 3 V2' and there are plenty tutorials for you You'll need some software but it's all free open source and the helpful website of your choice will probably tell you how to install that. (If not, try another tutorial :slight_smile: )

Your thread is a common topic, there must be hundreds of previous threads in the archives. Often it is quite helpful to read the experiences of others and compare their situation with your own. So searching the archives here wd be me other recommendation.

And keep calm...

1 Like

For the record, Creality maintains it's own highly modified version of Marlin, so there it's not down to configuration but actually programming, though not of proper Marlin but the Creality maintained fork of Marlin.

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't sure about that myself.

I seem to have the very same Creality Ender 3 V2 model and board. I also had problems with the original firmware. I found the Jyers firmware for the Ender 3V2 to work really well. Check it out on GitHub: Releases Β· Jyers/Marlin Β· GitHub

Make sure you understand the quirks of the firmware update process :wink:

This FW works perfectly fine with the printer and also OctoPrint.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.