Problem using Ultimaker 2+ with Octoprint attached

What is the problem?
When I try to print using the interface on the Ultimaker 2, I select Print option using the dial, and the contents of the SD card appear. As soon as I try scrolling through the list it selects the first file it goes over (when trying to scroll) and sends it to print on Octoprint. It means I cannot select the correct file to print.

What did you already try to solve it?
I don't really understand what has caused the problem to work out where to start to solve it!

Additional information about your setup
Effectively I was using the RPi to monitor the printing process and include the ability to cancel the print if I saw something going wrong. This used to work by connecting Octoprint to the Ultimaker 2, then sending a print job from the UM2. I was then able to monitor the print through Octoprint, and if I saw something going wrong from the camera feed, I could select the currently active job in Octoprint and cancel it. The problem described in the "problem" section, has become evident since moving from Rasbian with octoprint installed, to Octopi installed on the RPi. I used to be able to effectively print from the printer and monitor and control from the RPi.

I have an upgraded Ultimaker 2 (upgraded to 2+ with official kit) attached to an RPi B+ with an official camera attached and Octopi installed and Octoprint running. This is a recent change to how we were working (mentioned above), and it has not worked how it did since the change. It was changed because the RPi and octoprint stopped working, and wouldn't update anymore.
OctoPrint 1.3.10 running on OctoPi 0.15.1
Ultimaker 2 firmware _3.3.0

I hope this is enough information for someone to be able to assist.

Thank you in advance

Bill

As soon as I try scrolling through the list it selects the first file it goes over (when trying to scroll) and sends it to print on Octoprint. It means I cannot select the correct file to print.

This sounds like a known bug in the Ultimaker firmware that they so far sadly appear to have not fixed. There was a ticket about that somewhere on Github, but apparently that hasn't led anywhere.

Of course, all that is just guesswork unless you provide some logs, most importantly the terminal output/serial.log :wink:

My apologies! I am not comfortable in the octoprint environment so didn't even know about the logs! I'll look into getting the logs today.

Thank's for getting back to me. I did suspect it might be a printer side problem, but have no idea how to get around that side of things either.

Again, I'll get the logs today and post them here(?)

Cheers,

Bill

Hi,

I have now found the logs requested, and have attached them to this post. Please let me know if there is any other way I can help with the resolution of this problem.

Cheers,

Bill
octoprint.log (18.6 KB)

and the other log (due to not being able to attach two files to a post, due to being a new user).
serial.log (23.9 KB)

Hi,

thanks for replying. I uploaded the logs as requested, but now wonder if they are/were any help in identifying the problem, and hopefully a solution? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Sorry, I thought I had replied here. Your serial.log indeed indicates what I suspected - your printer's firmware is who selects the first file. It shouldn't do that until you actually select the file but for some reason the UM2 firmware thinks otherwise :woman_shrugging:

See also the final comments in