Problems syncing sd card

What is the problem?

I am unable to get Octoprint to show the current contents of my SD Card.

Also, uploads to the SD card are really really slow, back to the speeds of the 1980s.

Octoprint reports the printer's temp and shows webcam fine.

What did you already try to solve it?

connecting via wifi (test) and ethernet (test) separately.

quick formating the sd (32G) card (FAT32)
regular formating of the sd card (FAT32)

trying another sd card

connecting via http and via https

trying both chrome and firefox

rebooting pi many times, powering on and off the printer (a new prusa) many times

clicking the Octoprint recycle button

change SD status interval (polling) from 1s to 5s (test) and back again

change SD status interval (autoreport) from 1s to 5s (test) and back again

change Autodetection timeout from 1s to 5s (test) and back again

refresh browser page

read a recent post about a TF to SD plugin, tried that - no difference

comparing SD card files present when viewed via printer interface and when viewed with Windows (they match)

also, oddly, when I do an upload to the sd card it not only takes forever but if I cancel it (pressing the cancel button) the printer makes a very angry noise.

Octoprint's view of the card contents sometimes change, but never seem to match what is on the card

Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, browser error console ...)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ...)

Current version of everything; PRUSA I3 MK3S, Pi 3B+

enable sd support is checked

This is a fact of life with Marlin-based firmware; when transfering gcode to the sd card on the printer, gcode commands are sent to the printer one at a time just the same way they are sent when the file is being printed. There is nothing OctoPrint can do to change this.

It took over 4 minutes to transfer a 653 Mb file - is that normal?

Any help on the syncing issue?

Yes, that sounds normal.

I don’t know why the filelist is not syncing.

OctoPrint is intended to be used to send and monitor print jobs directly via USB. It is not intended to be a intermediary between the host and the printer's SD card. While the printer sees two equal input sources, OctoPrint does not see (as explained here) two equal outputs.

OctoPrint uses Marlin's Gcode commands M20 through M30 to manipulate the SD card. If these commands don't return the correct information, then there is nothing OctoPrint can do about it. I would check / ask in the Prusa forums about the syncing problem.

Ok thanks. By the way, this issue aside, Octoprint is great - I sent in a small donation. Hope it helps.

1 Like