Prusa - Bad Pi3 or Einsy Data Port connection

I had the Pi0 and replaced it with a Pi3b+ but in doing so I hooked the block cable up 1 row to high. /sigh. I don't know if I blew up the data ports on the PI or the Einsy but my Pi0 doesn't work either, but I was moving around SD cards and reformatting and Puttying all over and I'm not a Linux person... so.

Anyone know of a way to tell if I blew my PI or Einsy or maybe some odd config I'm missing? Power to the PI and USB work fine when I revert back to OctoPi defaults.

To clarify, I'm up and running (and powered) with the PI and Einsy, but have to use USB like in the pic below (=

I put a red box on the screenshot where I put the block connector on wrong.

Thanks!!

• Edited: /boot/cmdline.txt -add: dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
  • Edited: /boot/config.txt -remove: console=serial0,115200
  • Turned on RPI port on MK3S
  • Added /dev/ttyAMA0 to OctoPrint
Connecting to: /dev/ttyAMA0
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Opening serial port"
Connected to: Serial<id=0x6721cd90, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyAMA0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial port" to "Connecting"
Send: N0 M110 N0*125
No answer from the printer within the connection timeout, trying another hello
Send: N0 M110 N0*125
There was a timeout while trying to connect to the printer
Changing monitoring state from "Connecting" to "Offline"
Connection closed, closing down monitor

2020-03-23 20:14:35,859 - octoprint.util.comm - INFO - Could not enter programming mode on /dev/ttyAMA0: u'Timeout'

I'm assuming since OctoPrint see's the ttyAMA0 serial port, I'd wager its probably my Einsy board. I have the RASpi port turned on in the Prusa settings but the Pi doesn't "see it".

That happens but it might fried something on the Einsy board. If I'm not wrong this way your ground was connected to 5V and one uart was connected to ground.

You could try to connect with minicom and test if there is any output at all

sudo apt update
sudo apt -y install minicom

sudo minicom -b 115200 -D /dev/ttyAMA0 -o
1 Like

Don't believe I have any data. Setup everything again like in my OP and nothing.

I know it's just me being a pedant but I find it interesting the difference between "1 row to high" as posted and "one row too high" which I assume is what was meant. English grammar really is ridiculous.

There's an informal difference between forum grammar and proper grammar. Yes, I know the difference between to, too and two and I know numbers between one and nine are written and 10 and above are written numerically. Technically, there should be a comma before your "but" if I may be pendant as well. However, those conditions are also commonly written incorrectly and not strictly forced.

I'm a science major, not an English major so my micro level grammar mistakes are not as important as getting my technical question relayed.

I so love grammar police on the net. (=

pedant, but I find it interesting

I probably have you both beat on the English/grammar thing; I started a company which offered copy editing, proofreading and indexing at one point. I care deeply about the language and you've managed to tease me out of ennui for a moment.

When I read the poster's first message regarding the accidental plugging of the connection it wasn't immediately clear to me how the mistake was made. I saw the tell-tale "red box" on the graphic and the small photo of a black connector. I like puzzles and figuring things out. But in this case I just shrugged and walked away because it wasn't clear to me how the mistake played out.

I think if I had wanted to communicate this I would have provided the graphic from pinout.xyz and indicated, "I was supposed to connect the rectangular block from BOARD pins 1 through 16... but instead I accidentally connected it from BOARD pins 3 through 18."

1 Like

Agreed. The technical details could have been better explained. That was pure laziness on my part. I only have a small amount of time to mess with the Printer, PI and OctoPrint so I was hoping for a quick Linux based check to validate that my PI or Einsy was damaged. It's a very high probability that I damaged the data pin circuit on the Einsy since swapping out the PI board had no impact. Lucky, I can still use my existing setup, including power to the PI. I just need to use a USB for data.

Stating pins 3 through 18 would have been easier... I spent a few minutes before writing the original post trying unsuccessfully to determine rows vs. columns and up vs. down.

Anyhow, the solution would be a new Einsy board more then likely. I'm not willing to put out $100 US dollars for that convenience quite yet. (=

You might use your own jumpers to connect TXD, RXD and Gnd from the Pi over to RX, TX and Gnd on the Einsy and then do as PrintedWeezl suggested with the minicom test. Read the documentation for that and turn on local echo before sending characters over like M115.

The pre-built harness is still hooked up right now (using that only for power). Would that be the same as what you noted or you thinking of testing with different wires? I did snap-in the Pi0 as as test and that didn't work either.

Assuming that the Einsy is in the mode where it tries to talk over the GPIO connections and the Zero doesn't work then it sounds like the Einsy was toasted.

It should have been in the right mode. You just need to flip the Rasp port to [on] in the Prusa LED setting menu.

Sounds like it's Ben Franklin to the rescue.

1 Like

Ben is on lock down just like the rest of us. Haha.

I think you misunderstood the point of my post, I was attempting to point out how a tiny thing can change the meaning. I was going to give a groveling apology but as you feel free to post anything you want, why should I?

As for being a member of the grammar police, as far as I'm concerned, you can churn out anything you like.

I'm done on this subject, but as I suspect you'll want the last word, have at it.

Did you solve the issue?

No. It's a 99% probability I damaged the data port on the Einsy board. None of the fuses are blown, but I can't use data from the pins. USB and Power from the Einsy works fine so I just use that for smaller prints. If I have a large print, I just use an SD card.