PrusaXL, OctoPrint, and You

As I've not seen it asked, are there plans for full PrusaXL compatibility with OctoPrint?

I've just done my first print, and the experience with PrusaLink wasn't ideal. It's very basic in terms of functionality, and the upload speed was dismal over their Wi-Fi solution.

I feel spoiled now having OctoPrint for my Mk3 and would like to have the same experience with this giant beast.

Hello @Extra_Fox !

For you have it both: A PrusaXL and a OctoPrint device, just give it a try.

Not sure if it's been fixed, but on the MK4 you had to disable the wifi connection in order to allow the external USB connection required by OctoPrint.

1 Like

I'm sure I'm not going to lose anything by disabling that. Somehow, their Wi-Fi implementation triggered my PTSD from 56k modems. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Any news on 5-Tool/multitool support for the Prusa XL?

1 Like

It's the other way around - the printer needs to support OctoPrint :slight_smile:

Check the release notes for 5.1.0 beta and the final release

Bummer. :frowning:

Not holding my breath then.

Supporting BGCode is to make it easier than remembering to adjust a bunch of slicer profiles too.

Oh well. :frowning:

Oh you were talking about bgcode? I thought it was about the printer itself.

Check this post :slight_smile:

Secondary for BGCode. Primary is 5 Toolheads for multimaterial/color.

I can't really help you with the tool changer. There are not a lot of people around with that printer.
I guess it would be the best to ask in the Prusa forum if it works with OctoPrint.

Is not a tool change accomplished by sending gcode commands, which would be embedded in the gcode file you send? If that is true, then OctoPrint should work.

1 Like

Agree. MMU (1-3) works, IDEX works, so PrusaXL with some tool heads should works too - except Josef choosed some exotic commands for that one. And it preferably needs a USB connection.

I'm definitely hoping this is the case. I personally have no desire to alter which head (or filament) is being selected by the printer outside of what I told it to do in the slicer.

Afaik, you have the PrusaXL.

Did you even try to run it with OctoPrint?

Debating about if it works or not is just academical.

finally setting up my XL. It seems best not to push gcode through it like USB-style printers. The local (prusalink) interface handles the basics, it'd be wonderful to let it run the print and make a centaur out of Octoprint, which lets the XL gain a camera, plugins, the better visualizations, all of that.

Here's what api/v1/job looks like during a print:

{
  "job": {
    "id": 3,
    "progress": 13,
    "time_remaining": 4020,
    "time_printing": 663
  },
  "storage": {
    "path": "/usb/",
    "name": "usb",
    "read_only": false
  },
  "printer": {
    "state": "PRINTING",
    "temp_bed": 60,
    "target_bed": 60,
    "temp_nozzle": 210,
    "target_nozzle": 210,
    "axis_z": 0.3,
    "flow": 100,
    "speed": 100,
    "fan_hotend": 2929,
    "fan_print": 4348
  }
}

and api/v1/status:

{
  "job": {
    "id": 3,
    "progress": 13,
    "time_remaining": 4020,
    "time_printing": 663
  },
  "storage": {
    "path": "/usb/",
    "name": "usb",
    "read_only": false
  },
  "printer": {
    "state": "PRINTING",
    "temp_bed": 60,
    "target_bed": 60,
    "temp_nozzle": 210,
    "target_nozzle": 210,
    "axis_z": 0.3,
    "flow": 100,
    "speed": 100,
    "fan_hotend": 2929,
    "fan_print": 4348
  }
}

Well I've got it all setup. At least I think I do. It's plugged into the USB port on the back-side of the unit and?

Nothing.

It doesn't read what the printer is doing, I can't send files, in fact when I send it any sort of commands it crashes the printer's OS. So that's not good.

I probably need to spend more time troubleshooting, and while I wasn't anticipating it would work perfectly this soon, I'm a little downcast at the current state.