PS3 Eye has stopped working

Ah right. Didn't realize it had all gone to Python 3+ already and that there was solid backup stuff. I'll reflash everything tomorrow and restore from backup and test again.

best of luck, I'm sure someone will pop up soon with the answer if all that doesnt work.

1 Like

Ok, after a less-than-straightforward clean wipe in which the backup and restore didn't work (it told me the backup was created with a newer version and wasn't compatible) I managed to get everything up and running again.

Sadly, the camera is still not working.

In looking at webcamd.log I see the following:
Starting up webcamDaemon...

--- Configuration: ----------------------------
cfg_file: /boot/octopi.txt
camera: auto
usb options: -r 640x480 -f 10
raspi options: -fps 10
http options: -w ./www-octopi -n --listen 127.0.0.1

Explicitly USB device:

Found video devices:
/dev/video10
/dev/video11
/dev/video12
/dev/video13
/dev/video14
/dev/video15
/dev/video16
config file='/boot/octopi.txt':USB device was not set in options, start MJPG-streamer with the first found video device: /dev/video10
/root/bin/webcamd: line 184: printf: 0x: invalid hex number
/root/bin/webcamd: line 184: printf: 0x: invalid hex number
<13>Dec 2 12:56:15 root: Starting USB webcam
Checking for VL805 (Raspberry Pi 4)...

  • It seems that you don't have VL805 (Raspberry Pi 4).
    There should be no problems with USB (a.k.a. select() timeout)
    Running ./mjpg_streamer -o output_http.so -w ./www-octopi -n --listen 127.0.0.1 -i input_uvc.so -r 640x480 -f 10 -d /dev/video10
    MJPG Streamer Version: git rev: 5554f42c352ecfa7edaec6fc51e507afce605a34
    i: Using V4L2 device.: /dev/video10
    i: Desired Resolution: 640 x 480
    i: Frames Per Second.: 10
    i: Format............: JPEG
    i: TV-Norm...........: DEFAULT
    Done bring up all configured video device

Goodbye...

Error opening device /dev/video10: video capture not supported.
Init v4L2 failed !! exit fatal
i: init_VideoIn failed

What strikes me is the Configuration section, which seems to ignore what I have in octopi.txt:

camera=usb
camera_usb_options: -f 1 -q 75 -y

Is it possible that it's somehow ignoring my octopi.txt file?

Lastly, if I run lsusb I still see the PS3 Eye:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1415:2000 Nam Tai E&E Products Ltd. or OmniVision Technologies, Inc. Sony Playstation Eye
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I've since tested this on a separate Pi (3B) to rule out anything funny with the hardware side of things. (I literally popped out the sd card and stuck it in a different pi)

And I also tested with a Raspberry Pi Camera v2, but got no action with that. I never did manage to get that working in the first place, which is why I bought a PS3 Eye in the first place. I suspect something might have been wrong with the pi camera itself, which is unfortunate.

Not really sure what else to test or try, or what I should be looking for in the logs.

I also am experiencing issues on a PS3 Eyecam that up until I updated today to newest 1.5.3 was working fine.

my camera options are camera_usb_options="-y -q 50 -f 8 -r 640x480"

Got it?
I stepped down the frames from my usual 8, down to 2 in the octopi.txt config file. Rebooted the raspi - it worked.
Then stepped it back to 6 frames, rebooted - it worked
then stepped it back to 8 frames (original value) - it worked... Weird.

1 Like

Sadly this didn't do the trick either. I'm wondering if my PS3 Eye has gotten messed up along the way. I'm tempted to buy a different webcam, but I'm not entirely sure that that would work either given how spotty my results have been so far.

I know this is a little old, but wanted to chime in. I was having issues with Octoprint streaming to the webpage. It was streaming to the IOS app, but not to the web page. I have since upgraded the Pi and the Print. I'm now running Print 1.7.0 and Pi 0.18.0. It didn't work at first, but i used the following statement in the octoprint.txt camera_usb_options="-y -q 50 -f 8 -r 640x480" and uncommented out the lines associate with streaming as suggested in the octoprint wiki. I also restored my old config using backup and restore. it's working now.