Question About Filament Runout Sensor

What is the problem?

I don't use a Raspberry Pi to run OctoPrint, as i had an extra banged up 2 in 1 laptop that i Installed Ubuntu onto. I just wanted to know if there was a plugin for Octoprint to detect a filament runout sensor attached to the printer, and not GPIO pins on the device running OctoPrint. I don't have GPIO on the laptop.

What did you already try to solve it?

Thinking about ordering an FT232HQ based USB to GPIO board to get this to work

Have you tried running in safe mode?

WRITE HERE

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

WRITE HERE

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible
Ender 3 pro with 4.2.2 board, most recent marlin bugfix, firefox on ubuntu, not a raspberry pi based setup, but is straight linux based setup on Ubuntu 20.04

If the firmware supports action commands, OctoPrint has built in support for it. In Marlin, you can enable HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS and HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT in Configuration_adv.h, then the printer will give the details to OctoPrint.

Thank you. I will give this a try after my current print is done. I ordered one of the FT232HQ boards anyway. It'll be fun to play with GPIO, and ill need more pins for the enclosure i'm working on.

If your old laptop has a serial port then you have 1 possibly 2 lines of i/o, CTS etc. You'll need a few component to convert +- 12 to logic.

Oh, it's not that old, haha. It's only about 4 years old. It's a Dell 2 in 1 touchscreen. The digitizer is cracked, so the touch doesn't work. 2 columns down the keyboard don't work. The battery doesn't charge, and it's not the power supply, it works fine on other laptops. But, it folds flat, keyboard at the back, and mounts nicely to the wall to keep the dashboard up to have a look at where the prints are at. It's a quad core i5 with 4 Gb of ram, 11 inch screen, and a real 2.5inch ssd drive in it.

No serial port. The FT232HQ USB adaptor was 20 bucks on amazon. It'll give me a few gpio outputs easily.

A parallel port adapter would give you 8 pins, at least.

The FT232H/HQ chips are a USB to serial/parallel adaptor really. Will handle GPIO, I2C, SPI, JTAG, and many others. It will give me 12 GPIO ports to play around with.

I case you haven't heard of it here's the data sheet for the 232h, but the HQ is the same.

Future Technology Devices International Ltd

@Rukbat If he doesn't have a serial port, then a parallel port seems pretty unlikely.

it has 12 GPIO pins that it is capable of using through the usb to serial capabilities. I have still been working on this when i have time. Not really getting to far.

it works just like a normal GPIO interface on the Rpi, i just wanted to see if i could make plugin that uses it, instead on the Rpi.gpio thats depreciated.

it relies on the pyftdi/blinka libraries to work.