Raspberry pi 3B (not plus) won't connect to wifi

I bought a second pi to run a different printer with octopi. It's a used pi 3B. I flashed octopi and I can't get it to connect to wifi, but ethernet works. I put the flashed card in my other pi (a 3B+) and it works through wifi.

What I tried:
I know the 3B is only compatible with 2.4 GHz, so I added the following line to the wpa-supplicant file, but that didn't work:
freq_list=2412 2417 2422 2427 2432 2437 2442 2447 2452 2457 2462 2467 2472

I double checked timezone and local in raspi-config. It also did not read any wifi settings. last thing I tried was to check the rfkill list, but nothing was blocked.

I am a total novice, but those are some potential solutions I found online.

I also ran ifconfig and it doesn't show wlan0 at all. the ethernet and lo all show zero packets.

My wifi is high speed google nest, connecting through windows 11 PC. all command lines were run using a keyboard and monitor connected to the pi.

Let me know if anyone knows of a viable path forward or if I should just give in and run some ethernet cable across the house!

I also tried updating firmware then rebooting. Still no connection. sudo iwlist wlan0 scan also gave an interface does not support scanning message. I'm assuming the WiFi adapter went bad.... I may just try a WiFi USB dongle

Tried with a USB wifi dongle. That also didn't work even tho it was recognized.... This sucks