Raspberry pi 4 2GB cannot boot OctoPi

What is the problem?

I am trying to run OctoPi on a new Raspberry Pi 4 2GB but it fails to boot. Photos of error log below:

What did you already try to solve it?

I flashed a card with the OctoPi 0.17 image using balena etcher.
I have tested this Pi and SD card combination and it runs standard raspbian with no problems.
I updated the bootloader using the official method and had no problems.

This has me stumped - help much appreciated!

1 Like

I guess that's why you can't boot an "older" image.
Do you own another pi? You could boot the image with the other pi and run sudo apt update && sudo apt -y upgrade

other options are to use a nightly image
https://gnethomelinux.com/OctoPi/nightly/
or to install octoprint yourself on a standard raspbian image

2 Likes

Ah thanks so much, the nightly works! I guess my pi must have come with an already too updated bootloader? I tried it straight out of the box with and it didn't boot either.

Seems that webcam support is not working on the nightly, so I guess my options are to install octoprint myself or wait?

Which nightly are you using and is it 32 or 64 bit?

My bad, still new to raspberry pi and I didn't realise you need to have the usb webcam attached while booting. I tested 32 and 64 bit, my webcam only works with 32 bit.

Think I'm ready to actually print now. Thanks again - really appreciate people like you who make it possible for us newcomers to get going.

2 Likes

The boot message shows the issue. 0.17 was released before the Pi4 came out. Hence the missing required boot files.

This is incorrect, since 0.17 works with most Raspberry Pi 4s. It was released November 2019, after the Pi4.

What might have happened, is that they have a new revision of the board, or as a result of updating the bootloader, it is incompatible.

4 Likes