Raspberry Pi 4 4GB with official 7" touch screen WILL NOT rotate

What is the problem?
I cannot get the touch screen to rotate no matter what i try

What did you already try to solve it?
ive been looking into this all afternoon today and spent several hours last night.
ive tried editing the /boot/config.txt file about 20 different ways adding lines to the bottom, top, or in places in between. most solutions say "display_rotate=#" or "lcd_rotate=#" or "display_lcd_rotate=#" or a combo of the first 2
i found one solution said to edit the /boot/cmdline.txt and add some info there.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, what kind of hardware precisely, ...)
as stated in the title im running the RPi4 4GB connected to the official RPi 7" touch screen display via ribbon cable. i have the most up-to-date versions of octopi and octoprint installed using octodash plugin.

im tempted to start over without octodash and see if the screen rotates, but i doubt it will work.

i just tried a fresh install, no ui, changed the config.txt with both display_rotate=3 and lcd_rotate=3 and it still will not rotate.

1 Like

Oh my! WTH!? I literally wasted an entire day googling RPi forums, this forum, and anywhere else I could think of!

Thank you! There were like 5 answers there and the easiest one I could do from SSH worked! Blocked out the line for "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d" in the /boot/config.txt worked a treat. I guess that line blocks the screen rotation codes as they cannot both work in tandem.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

3 Likes

Congrats on your solution! I'm very unfamiliar with linux, ( Raspbian, and Octoprint ) and I have been pounding away at my R pi4 displaying on a cheap $30 ebay 3.5" touch screen. After dozens of sdcard reimages from terminal attempts at success, I have gotten to a a successful Touchui load, then Octoprint functional screen, but my mouse cursor is horizontally reversed. Up is up, down is down, but left moves right, and moving right moves left. I too have scoured the internet, and forum pages,...but no joy! Any ideas you might have come across that may reverse mouse direction? Again, congrats on your solution, and thanks for your time!

Aaron