Raspberry Pi compatible camera too zoomed in

Camera model
SainSmart Infrared Night Vision Surveillance Camera + 2 Infrared Light for Raspberry Pi Arduino, 5 MP Omnivision 5647 Camera Module

What is the problem?
The issue I am having is that the camera is too zoomed in. The camera is about 6 inches from the object being recorded.

What did you already try to solve it?

I have edited the /boot/octopi.txt to set the resolution but anything above the 640 x 480 just zooms in further. I am planning to move the camera further away but is this the only option?

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, ...)
I am also using Octolapse and have enabled the custom configuration for the camera but there is nothing in there to zoom out further. I have the image stabilization off.

I have read through the forums but can't seem to figure out what else to do next.

And here is what I am seeing.

It should be the V1 cam so these docs should help you
https://picamera.readthedocs.io/en/release-1.12/fov.html

here you can see when and how much the image is cropped

# Resolution Aspect Ratio Framerates Video Image FoV Binning
1 1920x1080 16:9 1-30fps x Partial None
2 2592x1944 4:3 1-15fps x x Full None
3 2592x1944 4:3 0.1666-1fps x x Full None
4 1296x972 4:3 1-42fps x Full 2x2
5 1296x730 16:9 1-49fps x Full 2x2
6 640x480 4:3 42.1-60fps x Full 4x4
7 640x480 4:3 60.1-90fps x Full 4x4
1 Like

Thank you. I have read through this as well as a thread that refered to it. I have the following in my octopi.txt

I am not sure how to enabled the 640 x 480 binned option.

it's a raspicam, not usb.

edit the camera_raspi_options line instead :slight_smile:
if it still doesn't work change camera="auto" to camera="raspi"

also make sure that no plugin is interfering with your cam settings - try safe mode if you aren't sure about that.

1 Like

Effect of troubleshooting at 2 am lol

Ok so changing to camera_raspi_options didn't change the resoultion

camera="auto" to camera="raspi"makes the service go down.

this setting works for me

make sure you put a # at the beginning of the lines you don't need

ok so looks like the options are being applied. I got the raspi options to work becuase I disabled the custom controls for octolapse and the webcam image stutters more when i up the resolution. however, the zoom is not changing. so FOV is not changing at all.

I don't know this cam - can you maybe rotate the lens or something to zoom out?

So much for saving $10 and not going with the official...:frowning: the lens rotation only focuses the lens....does not change the zoom.

you could print a longer arm for the cam so it's further away :man_shrugging:

Yeah, I am actually in the middle of printing this. Spent a lot of time last night figuring it out and reached nowhere. So longer arm it is.....Did learn a few things thoug. Thank you for all the help!

1 Like

Just for anyone else happening upon this thread who have the issue of the zoom not changing with resolution, it is due to the firmware version for the camera..

Updating the pi will update this and then after a reboot selecting resolution will give the crop factor or FFOV as detailed above.

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Reboot pi and it should perform as detailed above..