Raspberry Pi or Linux Distro?

I have don't problem just yet. My printer is not even assembled. But I do have questions.

I have an Intel NUC available. It does have Windows 10 on it, but I do have a new SSD that I could throw a Linux distro on. I was originally thinking of doing this because I'd like to set up a node for VTC. I also have a Raspberry Pi 3B+, the 7" touchscreen, a Logitech C525 webcam and a cool AIO case.

I rather like the idea of using the Pi as a control unit with touch Touch UI. Since slicing seems ok to do on the Pi, I don't think it's CPU intensive? But I'd do modeling on my main Windows 10 rig.

I'm familiar with the Pi. I've built a RetroPie and a Pi-Hole. Any advice?

Slicing can be very cpu intensive. Perhaps it's better to slice on your Windows 10 rig. OctoPrint currently doesn't support a non web browser UI if that's what you're getting at. There is an android App however.

Thanks. I just read that there was a Touch UI plugin for OctoPrint.

Link

Honestly, nobody slices files in OctoPrint anymore. The Cura engine plugin that's currently bundled will be removed in the next release. Just use the stand-alone Cura on one of your workstations and upload the gcode file when you're finished.

The Raspberry Pi 3B+ using the OctoPi install will be your easiest way to go. Search the forum here for the many times people have asked me how you do the touchscreen; I just helped another person this week. Also search for my TouchUI review.

2 Likes