Raspberry Pi turns off mid print

No idea, I'd have to duck that question... performance - How can I stress test my Raspberry Pi - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange

Alternatively perhaps monitor temperature and voltage while you're printing: it shouldn't be too hard to log the data.

Actually the logs do not report any throttling issues.

It is more that some hiccup shuts the Pi down:

2023-06-30 17:00:30,063 - octoprint.server - INFO - Shutting down...
2023-06-30 17:00:30,067 - octoprint.server - INFO - Calling on_shutdown on plugins
2023-06-30 17:00:30,068 - octoprint.events - INFO - Processing shutdown event, this will be our last event
2023-06-30 17:00:30,071 - octoprint.events - INFO - Event loop shut down
2023-06-30 17:00:30,085 - octoprint.server - INFO - Goodbye!

This repeats at random out of the blue.

Just out of curiosity, on my system I clicked on the power icon in the header and selected "Shutdown system". After restarting I found the following in my octoprint.log:

2023-07-02 05:48:36,961 - octoprint.server - INFO - Shutting down...
2023-07-02 05:48:36,967 - octoprint.server - INFO - Calling on_shutdown on plugins
2023-07-02 05:48:36,973 - octoprint.events - INFO - Processing shutdown event, this will be our last event
2023-07-02 05:48:36,984 - octoprint.events - INFO - Event loop shut down
2023-07-02 05:48:37,642 - octoprint.plugins.tracking - INFO - Sent tracking event shutdown, payload: {}
2023-07-02 05:48:37,651 - octoprint.server - INFO - Goodbye!

This leads me to suggest under OctoPrint Settings, Server, Commands are the shutdown and restart commands. I'd clear both of those or replace them with something benign like echo "shutdown" and see what happens.

2 Likes

I'll give this a go.

I do appreciate all the help!

I did just manage a successful 8 hour print (a new file) without any hiccups. I'm 50% through another one now.

The file that it shutdown on failed 3 times previously at a similar point in the print, and maybe 1 in 4 prints had issues last week. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps some select gcode uploads got corrupted or something.

Do you know there's a "Power failure" plugin, to help recover a print?
Doesn't help with the actual problem, but might mitigate against it.
I haven't tried it myself yet, so I don't know if it's any good.

1 Like

This does not appear as a power failure.
It is a regular shutdown.

I don't know if that plugin works in that case.

I would expect a shutdown to be easier to recover from than a power failure, but judging by the discussion on that plugin, I am wrong...

Gave this a go, had one successful print (different file) then a crash (shutdown command was still somehow issued) 30 minutes into the next print.

octoprint (12).log (87.3 KB)

What came to mind:

Do you have some additional software installed to OctoPi? A GUI maybe?

Just OctoPrint (1.9.1) on the PI

I've just wired up some extra cooling to the electronics box and i got a plugin to track the temperature of the PI through octoprint, i'm gonna try a few prints and see if that helps. I doubt it was overheating, but hopefully it'll rule out any weird power issues due to the creality boards terrible motherboard cooling, which forked off the hotend fan.

So, with the following changes:

• Routing the Raspberry PI power cable no where near any other cables to cut down on interference.
  • Wired up the Electronic Box's Cooling (Ender 3 mainboard & PI) to take power directly from the printer PSU via a buck converter and swapped out to two 120mm fans.
  • Replaced the powerbutton that was hooked up to the GPIO with a momentary switch instead of a toggle switch (had no issues with this for 2 years, but i had a shiny new button so thought i may as well try).

I've managed to print a file which had previously crashed or shut down the PI, three times previously without any problems.

So, i'm thinking it was either electrical intereference or a cooling issue.

I'm gonna keep printing for a few days and see if i run into any more problems.

It depends on if the print gets cancelled on a shutdown. If it does not, the print would likely recover with the plugin.

1 Like

So, i had to do a bit of maintenance on the printer (swapping out a nozzle, fixing a clog, changing Y axis belt) and then the issue cropped up again with the PI shutting down after about 20 minutes into a print.

It's also extremely hot (weather wise), so i thought maybe it was a heating issue, tried a desk fan directly over the board + creality board, same problem. Though the PI wasn't hitting over 40 degrees. The electronics box has a seperate 120mm fan for both the PI and printer board.

Maybe it was electrical interferance on the power, rerouted it, added ferrite cores, tried new cables, hooked up the entire thing to a UPS. Same problem, PI shut off after ~20-30 minutes in a print.

Was about to give up when the ender 3 screen beeped by itself, so i routed the ribbon cable away from literally every other cable and no issues.

I'm 2 prints in now with the ribbon cable hanging out the front of the print enclosure through a hasitly drilled hole into the electronics box and i've had no issues.

I've got no idea why in the hell interference on a display cable to the printer board caused the PI to shut down, but there we are. I hope this helps other people.

1 Like

Nevermind, tried printing again today and it's now only getting 8-10 minutes in before the PI shuts down.

I'm guessing the beeping on the screen from the screen cable was a totally seperate issue.

Managed a 3 hour print with no issues. Then 1 hour into a new one before it crapped out, though it's currently 30 degree's in this room, so i'm thinking to leave it for a few days until ambient is back under at least 24.

I'm having the exact same issue. Ender 5+, and the raspberry pi is not connected directly, but close by the printer.

It's only started happening recently, so I'm wondering if it's in I've if my plugins and the latest version of octopi. I've done a fresh reinstall and just had it fall at 96% this morning. I'll remove most of my plugins and see what happens.

Are you using octoanywhere or anything else similar?

Am trying solution I found in Octoprint keeps crashing and leaving hot end on

It seems the same problem and I also have a creality printer. I'm not experiencing power fluctuation or temperature issues, so if this works I'll update here in a week or so.

So i think i've resolved it.

I made two changes, not sure exactly what it was and i don't want to jinx it by removing them.

So it was either...

• I've added ferrite beads to the raspberry pi power cable.

• I've also ran a few ground cables to make sure everything is properly grounded. Including the ender 3 screen, as it had it on a plastic mount, so it wasn't grounded to the printer frame.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.