Raspicam not working after touchscreen install

Camera model

MakerFocus Raspberry Pi 4B Camera IR Camera Module 75 Degree 5MP OV5647 Webcam

What is the problem?
After installing a touchscreen and Octodash, my webcam no longer works
What did you already try to solve it?
I'm not experienced at all with the Raspberry Pi, so I haven't tried much other than altering the stream URL in Octoprint to include the actual IP address of the Pi, but that made no change
Logs (/var/log/webcamd.log, syslog, dmesg, ... no logs, no support)
I'm not sure how to get any logs
Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, ...)
OctoPrint version 1.7.3

More information:
I had Octoprint working correctly with the above camera. It wasn't until I decided to add the touchscreen and Octodash that I realized the camera was no longer working. I've tried changing the ribbon cable and changing the camera for another and it still won't work. I'm not sure how to get any logs, but if someone will tell me I'll get them. Thanks!

What process did you follow to install it? Was there driver installation/scripts involved?

You can check if it is still enabled with sudo raspi-config

I followed the instructions that came with the screen and a youtube video by Chris Riley on how to get it running. I followed the instructions more closely as they were newer than what was in the video. The video is here : Octoprint Raspberry Pi Touch Screen Install - Touch UI - Chris's Basement - YouTube and the instructions here https://www.uctronics.com/download/Amazon/B0106.pdf
I just tried raspi-config and found the camera is enabled already.

When I start the Pi I see "failed to start or octoprint webcam. See attached image. Can anyone help with this as I'd bet it's my problem. Thanks!!

OK, I tried following the installation instructions for mjpg-streamer at GitHub - jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer: Fork of http://sourceforge.net/projects/mjpg-streamer/, thinking that may help, but I still have the same issue. Does anyone have any ideas here??

More troubleshooting:
I started over, erased my sd card and reinstalled Octopi. With a fresh instance of Octoprint running my webcam works fine. I then installed the touchscreen drivers and Octodash and the camera won't work. I checked in raspi-config and it wasn't enabled, so I set it to enabled and restarted the pi. Camera still doesn't work. I then ran lsusb and got:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I'll try to attach the webcamd.log if I can figure out how to. Hopefully somebody smarter than me can read it and figure out what's going on. I really need both the touchscreen and the raspicam working together. Please help!
webcamd.log (1.7 MB)

What do you get when you run vcgencmd get_camera?

supported=1 detected=0

It is a strange issue. There must be something in the touchscreen install that is conflicting with using the camera.

I've had a proper poke around the installation scripts and repository, with little clue what could be breaking it. With that said, here's one thing I came up with.

SSH (or connect a keyboard and look at the screen) and run sudo nano /boot/config.txt. Then, check if there is a line camera_auto_detect=1 and change it to camera_auto_detect=0. Check as well that there is a line start_x=1 in the file as well. When you have made changes (apologies if you are already familiar with nano), use ctrl-x to save and hit y to confirm the name.

Don't get your hopes up - I have no idea why it is conflicting, it could be something that is impossible to solve.

No apologies necessary! I wouldn't have known how to do that. I did have to change camera_auto_detect=0. There was already a start_x=1. I saved the file and restarted the pi and the camera now works!!! Thanks so much for your help!! I would never have figured this out on my own!

Well that makes me look good at solving problems... I really wasn't sure it that would be the problem but it was a bit of a game of spot the difference. Enjoy :slightly_smiling_face: