Regarding Throttling through OctoFarm

# What is the problem?
Throttling on web sockets within Octofarm. Throttling is ranging from 3-5 (according to details shows as 3-5 as being 300-500milliseconds. As below image (to the far right). This should be 1 or less.

What did you already try to solve it?

Tried multiple network ethernet cables from Octofarm pc to gigabit switch
Tried ethernet cables to each BTT CB1 with Raspberry Pi Adaptor (raspberry PI clone)
Tried disabling web cams (made no difference)
Currently running 115200 Baud to printer
Tried different USB Cables
I tried running a different PC (and even running octoprint and octofarm on the same dell pc but had the same results).

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

Unfortunately nah

Systeminfo Bundle

octoprint-systeminfo-20240311035021.zip (19.6 KB)

Additional information about your setup

Connecting Dell Mini PC (16gb Ram, i5 intel cpu, gigabit lan connection) to gigabit switch
6x BTT CB1 boards connected to gigabit switch (same switch as above)
10x Sovol SV06 Plus connected using Micro USB cable to BTT CB1 (1x CB1 board controls 2 Printers)
4x Sovol SV06 connected using Micro USB cable to BTT CB1 (1x CB1 board controls 2 Printers)

I think this throttling will be OctoFarm-side issue. If it's referring to the OctoPrint socket connection for each printer, OctoPrint by default sends out updates on the socket every 500ms, which corresponds to the default value of 1. If the connected client decides that it can't keep up with this speed, it can ask OctoPrint to slow down. The number is a multiplier on 500ms, so 2 = 1000ms (1sec), 3 = 1.5sec etc. It can't go lower than 1 (500ms).

OctoFarm probably struggles to keep up with every printer updating so often, so it most likely throttles the messages. If you want it to go quicker, you may need a quicker OctoFarm server - it may also be your browser accessing OctoFarm that can't keep up with that many updates. It is a lot of data and I don't remember OctoFarm being really well optimised - sometimes OctoPrint's UI can't keep up with just the one stream. It's not network or printer reconnection related at all - just measuring how fast the client can process the incoming data, the client itself controls the throttling.

Is this a real problem? Have you noticed adverse affects you'd like to get rid of? Personally, I don't think it should make a huge difference as I can't look at 10 printers that quickly, but would be interested if I've missed the case here.

1 Like