RPI 5 Pi + Camera V3 + Octoprint (NOT Octopi)

Please bear with me, I am very new to 3d printers and Octopi. This is my first time trying to set up something like this.

Camera model

PI Cam V3

What is the problem?

Cannot get Pi Cam 3 stream into Octoprint

What did you already try to solve it?

can get a video stream out of the camera, cannot figure where to add the stream to Octoprint

Have you tried running in safe mode?

No

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

NA

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

octoprint-systeminfo-20240306213229.zip (41.8 KB)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Version Octoprint 1.9.3, Ender3 Pro, Marlin Firmware, Firefox, Rpi is running Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

When I enter rpicam-vid --qt -t 0 --libav-format mpegts --width 1280 --height 720 --framerate 15 --listen -o "tcp://0.0.0.0:8080?listen=1"
I get a video stream output. When I go to VLC and put in tcp://192.168.1.221:8080 I get a stream, what I can't figure out is how to get this stream into Octopi? when I go to this screen:

and select Classic Webcam, I then go to this screen:
(not allowed), it is the Classic Webcam Plugin Stream URL setting
What do I put in to get a stream? when I put in the URL and port I get nothing. I don't even know how to find the acceptable inputs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The RPi 5 & Pi Cam V3 are right on the edge of wide support - just a warning that there may not be a simple solution here.

Your rpicam-vid stream is likely not a compatible format to just be embedded in the browser. VLC is able to read it with the tcp address, but this is not something you can enter in the browser and have it "just work".

The 'Classic Webcam' plugin expects an mjpg stream. I am not sure how to configure rpicam-vid to give you this, but I would expect it would be possible, if you can find that on the internet.

For the Pi Cam V3, we have generally been using camera-streamer, which provides a good stream. It has one or two issues still, notably that it was designed for use with the Pi's hardware encoder for h264 video, which they then got rid of on the Pi 5.... I am not sure how well it works on a Pi 5 - but it might be worth a try.

1 Like

So should I downgrade to the Pi 4 and camera v2?

I have an RPi 4 and an RPi Camera V3 working with the OctoPi (new camera stack) image so I believe you would only need to downgrade the RPi.

1 Like

Switched to an RPi 4, using camera V3. Works like a champ. I guess I will hold onto the Rpi 5 for some later project. Thanks everyone for all the help.