Second extruder for PVA

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could answer a short simple question?

In the following Github issue:

Gina wrote:

"[..] unless you've specified to use the second extruder for support material in your profile [..]"

My question, how do I specify this in my .ini Cura profile for Octoprint?

Hmm...

In the standalone Cura software itself, this feature is discussed on their forum. So for fun, I just told Cura that I have a second extruder in the Settings -> Printer -> Manager Printer area. Now in the print setup area and drilling into Support, I have Dual Extrusion as a new option that's available... which only gives me Enable Prime Tower and Enable Ooze Shield.

I have to actually click Generate Support to see more options. There appear to be several involved.

35%20PM

So, I've found the location on my computer where the Cura app stores settings which I make in that software: /Users/justincase/Library/Application Support/Cura/3.3/cura.cfg

In theory, one might be able to make the setting changes and then compare before/after versions of that file to see what variables Cura uses to store those. And then those same variable names are hopefully used in the Cura-as-a-plugin within OctoPrint.

The Cura within OctoPrint is version 15.04, To generate .ini profiles compatible with that version you need to install the full version of Cura 15.04.06 on a supported OS from https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software/list.

Documentation for 15.04 can be found at https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/16581-interface.

Now, you can define your printer (with 2 extruders) and generate .ini profiles for it.

Note that newer versions of Cura (versions 2 and 3 with the latest being 3.3.1) use a profile format that is incompatible with 15.04. If at all possible, you should consider abandoning slicing with OctoPrint and move to slicing on a desktop and uploading gcode to print via OctoPrint.

1 Like

Here, here.

I really love the control that I have over slicing while inside the full Cura application itself. The Cura engine that's embedded into OctoPrint is just a small part of what's available.

Found it.

;support_dual_extrusion = First extruder
;support_dual_extrusion = Second extruder
support_dual_extrusion = Both

1 Like