Setting up OctoPrint on Windows

Had the same problem today.
Check your version of Python, it should be between 3.7 and 3.9 (I have 3.9 and it works).
If that doesn't fix it have a look at your Visual Studio settings.
Hopefully, this helps.

HI I am getting an error when trying to run with octoprint serve it says ImportError: cannot import name 'formatargspec' from 'inspect' (C:\Program Files\Python311\Lib\inspect.py) what does this mean and how can I fix it.

OctoPrint is not yet compatible with Python 3.11, as pointed out at the beginning of this guide:

It will be soon, however: Compatibility with Python 3.11 Β· Issue #4488 Β· OctoPrint/OctoPrint Β· GitHub

1 Like

do you think it could be the fact that im on windows 11 or that im on py 3.10.9

The error message shows you are using Python 3.11.

i am having trouble connecting my cr-10 smart to octoprint. Do you need a pi if you installed it on windows

For anyone with issues connecting to a Prusa MK3 over USB cable, try the following settings

In printer: RPI Port: OFF
In Octoprint:
COM port: Manually select
BAUD rate: AUTO

how are you connecting your PC to the printer? CR-10 Smart requires modding the hardware to connect to USB.

This is the second time I am following this walk thru and for some reason it is not working, getting a lot of errors. Attached is a Zip with a txt file with the output after running octoprint serve. Thoughts?

UPDATE: I installed Python 3.11, removed and installed 3.10.9 and now it is working.

OctoError.zip (1.8 KB)

can someone please help me fix why my Logitech C922 doesn't show the stream? it works on the camera app, but not in Octoprint server. I saw that people changed their port or updated the URL and it worked. I tried it but it still doesn't show the stream and I get the broken image icon. My current setting is:

http://127.0.0.1:25000/webcam/?action=stream

The first question is have you installed anything to stream the webcam. In this guide it suggests installing Yawcam to provide the stream. It also says, if you have installed that, to configure the stream URL as such:

The current setting you have I would say is almost guaranteed to not work, unless you have setup a reverse proxy on port 25000 and are using something that has the same parameters as mjpg streamer.

1 Like

it worked! thank you!

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm getting the same error.

Hello @Zafra_Whitcomb !

Already tried this one?

Yes, install Yawcam and then install octoprint from the GitHub url

My octoprint installation failed when running setup.py install for netifaces ... Windows didn't install the w10 C++ properly and gave an unhelpful error message.
I can't get the installer to run to completion and ive also tried to install C++ directly.
I have run out of time but I suspect windows security is preventing the installation but switching defender off doesn't help. Heigh ho.
but thank you for this python installer. It would have been great.

Well blow me down. Octoprint is now working:
I started the service.
I typed http://localhost:5000 on the (firefox) input line, and up it comes.
Well whatever the problem was, it is fixed I dont need C++ and I can start Octoprint. Thank you!

1 Like

I'm using this process on several old windows machines given the now ridiculous price of Rpi's. Do you have any insights as to how we can get a webcam working on these instances within python?

It's part of the guide here: