Setting up OctoPrint on Windows

If Astroprint pairs with an IP address only, then you should not be able to run it on two separate systems on your LAN because your router/modem only has one public IP address. If this is true, then the only solution would be to get a static IP block from your ISP which could be expensive.

If you can run Astroprint on two separate systems on your LAN, then you could multi-home your Windows machine (i.e. assign it multiple IP addresses) and use a separate IP address in each instance.

Regarding build tools - maybe I'm an ignorant knucklehead, but it took me some time to realize that I had to "modify" the installation to actually select the C++ tools.
I have no idea what it installed by default, and I don't remember being asked what I want to install.
Just a FYI for others.

1 Like

Hi, in case you still have this problem i found out that the path has to be the "full path" including the .exe

hope it helps.

Can someone help me with this problem:

Offline (Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected.)

1 Like

Open a new topic in #support please, be sure to fill out the template.

Does someone use multiple cameras on windows 10? I run 1 Octoprint Server on 2 Ports. How would I handle 2 Cameras?

Did anyone ever figure out a way of hosting individual Octoprint instances on Windows? The video, as helpful as it is, still has the problem of all settings (including the name changed under "Appearance") being the same, and not individual to the port.

Even setting up 2 separate folders, for venv1 and venv2 as an example has the same issue.

Use different base directories. When you run, specify octoprint serve --basedir /path/to/basedir1, and octoprint serve --basedir /path/to/basedir2

Then, you will have two data folders that can have individual settings.

2 Likes

Thanks! If I'd just gone to sleep and woke up to your answer after posting that question I could have saved a lot of time... I did eventually figure it out hours later by referencing the examples here - https://pypi.org/project/OctoPrint/. I realised all my config files were originally getting placed in %APPDATA%, so that base folder parameter was the key!

One thing I did notice after setting everything up was that when I turned on my 2nd printer, the 1st printer stopped printing and Octoprint showed an Offline error. I think this /may/ be to do with the fact they share a USB hub, but considering the COM ports shouldn't interrupt each other, I'm not exactly sure why.

I had to get ffmpeg from here: https://ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-windows

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Setting up OctoPrint on Windows:

Nice that this is updated for python 3.
In step 5 to create the virtualenv I had to use this command instead: python -m venv /path/to/new/virtual/environment
(from venv β€” Creation of virtual environments β€” Python 3.9.1 documentation)

(This one didn't work: "virtualenv venv")

I'll have to look at if there are any advantages of virtualenv over venv. I believe the Raspberry Pi/Linux one already uses that. Did you have more than one python installation? I know virtualenv defaults to Py2 which can be annoying.

Yes I have python 2.7 and 3.9. i removed 2.7 from the system path. I could not find 'virtualenv' for 3.9. I've since found it in the Appdata\Roaming\Python\Python39\Scripts folder, but that's not part of the system path so it wasn't found originally.
Oddly the 3.9 installer put c:\python39\scripts in the path, but it didn't actually create that folder during the installation!

1 Like

Note with a fresh install of windows 10 I had to use the following in order to recognize pip & virtualenv (after install of virtualenv)

PATH=%PATH%;C\Program Files\Python39\Scripts;C\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\Scripts

1 Like

Just reading through theses tips and went to the Power Management section for Windows 7. Found Hard Drive turn off.Well it listed Minutes. So I used the up arrow to increment the minutes to a really high number and thought. Hmmm What if my system that will be on 24/7 actually hits that number of minutes and shuts off the hard drive. I clicked the up and down arrows to see if I could get to a setting like the other devices have called NEVER. That did not do it. So in a fit of desperation I just clicked in the box for the minutes and typed in the word NEVER. Clicked the + sign to retract that option and then went back to it. Guess what. It stuck as NEVER. HA!

On the topic of Linux versus Windows for an Octoprint Server . I have personally been working at installing various versions of Linux for the last 3 days and started with the latest Ubuntu - Focal Fossa , Did not work with Chris Riley's Video and Documentation. He confirmed as much. So then stepped back a version to 20.18 Bionic Beaver (Who the F comes up with these names?) I was able to get Octoprint configured and installed using the previous directions mentioned EXCEPT Web cam (Logitech 270 ) would not send video even though I installed all the ffmpeg stuff and pointed the path to the stream of the Logitech Cam and also the Snapshot and Timelapse. Plus if one uses the default backgrounds that come with the Bionic Beaver installed the backgrounds exhibit horrible tearing and trick one into thinking that the default video card driver is incorrect. So one chases how they install some esoteric Nvidia -304 F Kin driver that cannot be located in the repository no matter how many you add . No dice. Went round and round and round! So finally I relalized that the windows themselves within Bionic Beaver town had no tearing so it cant be the video driver. I decided to just change the background to a solid color and no tearing what-so-ever. So I spent a day chasing around an issue that was resolved by just changing the background image to something besides what the Bionic Beaver masterminds decided to package with the distribution? In the end no camera wont cut it for me. Then I contacted Chris again and he replied that only 18.04 (Xenial) was what he could get to work. So I said F it and installed that version of Ubuntu. Went through all the step by step directions and got borked at the version of Python (pip) on the Linux system to be able to use the Setup installer for Octoprint had to be version 2.7.17 . WHAT? The F? I went down that rabbit hole and downloaded and compiled (make) that version of pip. Checked the version and it indicated it was correct. Ran the installer again. Errored out! No dice! Still asked for the version of Python I mentioned above. Finally said "screw this" and searched for a way to install on Windows . Came across this post and BOY am I glad I went this route. Got it setup from install of USB Stick to working Octoprint install in about 1 1/2 hours. NOT DAYS! Hours! Im a windows guy and have been forever so it comes much easier than sudo 'in this and decompressing a .tar file and chmodding this and chomodding that. Come on! I learned a ton during the process and one of the most important things I learned is when a version of Python is deprecated and that version has been used to program so many things a huge monkey wrench is thrown into all of that code that used to work. I wanted to run OctoPrint and have it be more snappy and responsive than some single board computer. I want to run more than one instance in the future to support additonal 3 D Printers. Lets see the Blueberry Pi alamode do that reliably. It cant! OK /rant off

I have a question - I would like to access my Octoprint install from this Windows 7 install of Octoprint by hostname resolution and not have to type 192.168.1.my IP. Instead I would like to type the name of the host followed by .local as I was able to do on my nearly completed Bionic Beaver Ubuntu install. No web cam made that a scrap but I could access the Octoprint install just fine in this manner. I have edited my hosts file to update the host name to OctoWindows I have then installed Bonjour to allow DNS resolution. I am unable however to access Octoprint using octowindows.local. Are there some tips or tricks to make this happen>? Let me reboot and see if that helps the situation.
Amazingly more straightforward and simple to install on Windows ! Great work!

is there a way to restart one or any of the octoprint instances?

1 Like

Complete python noob here. Just did the setup.

virtualenv venv #didn't work
python3 -m venv venv #however did

process as described from there. Can't explain why, just a result of 2 hours googling...
Only thing I can find is Python isn't installed in "program files" but in "app data". There's no scripts map either.

1 Like

The main issue with virtualenv, is that the python is installed from Windows Store which install it but don't register it properly, so the PATH need to be fixed to be the one where it is installed which will look something like this (c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\appdata\local\packages\pythonsoftwarefoundation.python.3.9_RANDOMSTRING\localcache\local-packages\python39\site-packages)

The caps are to highlight what is different on your side...

once you got it do PATH=%PATH%;(paste here the path to python scripts) {enter}

then
virtualenv venv {enter}
cd venv {enter}
cd Scripts {enter}
activate.bat {enter}
pip install octoprint {enter}

I hope this helps