Setup individual ports for 2 printers (OSX)

What is the problem?

1. I'm not sure how to assign individual ports to each printer. How to correctly create the symlinks in OSX?
  2. How do I setup a second instance of OctoPrint. Where do I find the basedir and port for the config script and how to change OctoPrint for OctoPrint2 in the init script.

What did you already try to solve it?

1. I tried " ioreg -lp IOUSB " as the OSX equivalent to "udevadm info -q all -n /dev/ttyUSB0 --attribute-walk" to get the device info, but I'm not sure what of all the output should I compare or use. Do the 2 printers need to be plugged at this time?
  2. I duplicated the OctoPrint folder in the same directory as the original one and named it OctoPrint2, but I'm not sure what should I modify in the scrips

I'm using this guide for a RasPi trying to figure out how to do it in OSX. https://jandra.wordpress.com/2019/10/07/octoprint-running-multiple-instances-webcam/

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

This is the info I get from the ports (from the ioreg command)
"sessionID" = 1292253490
| "AAPL,standard-port-current-in-sleep" = 500
| "iManufacturer" = 0
| "bNumConfigurations" = 1
| "idProduct" = 32776
| "bcdDevice" = 5
| "Bus Power Available" = 250
| "bMaxPacketSize0" = 64
| "iProduct" = 0
| "iSerialNumber" = 0
| "USB Address" = 2
| "bDeviceClass" = 9
| "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"
| "bDeviceSubClass" = 0
| "locationID" = 437256192
| "bcdUSB" = 512
| "Ports" = 6
| "PortNum" = 1
| "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFam$
| "bDeviceProtocol" = 1
| "Device Speed" = 2
| "idVendor" = 32903
| "Requested Power" = 0
| "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
| "Low Power Displayed" = No

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

I'm using a hackintosh with OSX 10.10.5. I think I downloaded OctoPrintV3 (thats what the readme and licence file say), but where can I verify this?

If you have both printers plugged in and you do an ls -lha /dev/tty* | grep usb, what do you see? (It has been a long time since I worked with Mac) Here is a posting on stack overflow that might help https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14074413/serial-port-names-on-mac-os-x

1 Like