Snapmaker 2.0 support

Is Snapmaker 2.0 supported by octoprint?

If so, can I use octoprint for CNC and laser as well?

Cheers

What do you mean by "supported by octoprint"? If you are asking if you can use OctoPrint with your Snapmaker 2.0, then the answer appears to be yes, see here or here.

The CNC and laser question is probably better asked in the Snapmaker forums.

Thanks b-morgan, both links are to the original snapmaker. My question is about the snapmaker 2.0

Sorry about that... I still think the odds of getting an answer are better in the Snapmaker forums.

Looks like it might use gcode, so in principle yes OctoPrint would be able to communicate with it. However, this is still dependent on:

• Does it have a USB serial port
  • Does it run a compatible firmware version?

If the firmware is not compatible, then to get it to work with OctoPrint you would have to find someone who could create a plugin (who probably has this machine) that sorts out the communication for it.

From a bit of browsing, it seems they add their own homemade gcode solutions, so the answer is probably not without a plugin.

Octoprint does work well for SM2, but there is a bug or two. Once you start a print, do not adjust the temp using the screen, or your temps will zero out and the print will fail.

Reference this official SM article with Cura & Fusion profiles which contain the Gcode scripts you need for successful prints via Octopi.

Below I'm pasting the gcode from that article:

**Start G-Code**

G28 ;home
G90 ;absolute positioning
G1 X-10 Y-10 F3000
G1 Z0 F1800
G92 E0
G1 E20 F200
G92 E0

**End G-Code**

M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
G90 ;absolute positioning
G92 E0
G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure
G28 X0 Y0
M84 ;steppers off

Looks like you can in theory control the machine via remote gcode for the other two modes -- but it's all experimental stuff from what my research has found. There was someone on the Lightburn forum playing with a way to use that software to manage laser jobs and they found a lot of funky gcode.

Lastly for CNC, we know that you can use Fusion to generate gcode for that mode (SM manual), and I think drive the machine as well. But it looks pretty gnarly in terms of extra stuff you don't have to do when 3d printing, so I'm not sure it would be a good fit for Octoprint without substantial enhancements.

1 Like

Like many Snapmaker users (I suspect) my Touchscreen unit is broken. While I'm waiting for a replacement I am looking at Octoprint. Snapmaker Luban software can drive the printer (without Touchscreen) via a USB Serial Link to the PC. Presumably Octoprint will simply play a G Code file without altering it? If so, the simplest workflow would be to prepare the G Code file in Snapmaker Luban and then use Octoprint to play it to the printer. In theory, this should work for any of the Toolheads since the G Code would have been prepared by Luban. Or am I missing something?

You'll be able to send the gcode file as-is from OctoPrint, that should work fine. OctoPrint will need some sort of communication outside of just sending the gcode file, but it looks like the SM2 does work with OctoPrint based on reports around the internet.

Thanks, Charlie. I'll give it a go!