Solved: Connection Issues: NUC 11 + Neptune 3 Pro

Solved

I removed brltty via sudo apt -y remove brltty and rebooted. It was stealing the USB connection.

What is the problem?

tl;dr I have a brand new Octoprint + Ubuntu installation and a brand new NUC 11 and it won't connect to my Neptune 3 pro

I have Octoprint v1.8.7 running on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS on a NUC 11, connected to an Elegoo Neptune 3 Pro via a brand new printer data USB cable.

Initially, I installed the same setup on an old intel-based computer in a tower (and everything worked great!), but the computer tower is enormous and I wanted to replace it with something much smaller. So, NUC it is.

I installed Octoprint and the webcam support according to this tutorial on both computers, and am now having issues getting the NUC to connect to the printer.

When I try to connect to the printer (selecting Auto for everything), Octoprint doesn't connect to the printer. Looking at the Terminal output, it wants to select /dev/ttyS4, but times out.

I have a feeling this is something silly and simple that I forgot. Any ideas?

Sample output:

Trying port /dev/ttyS4, baudrate 115200
Connecting to port /dev/ttyS4, baudrate 115200
Handshake attempt #1 with timeout 2.0s
Connected to: Serial<id=0x7fcae40fb010, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyS4', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=2.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Send: N0 M110 N0*125
Handshake attempt #2 with timeout 2.0s
Handshake attempt #3 with timeout 2.0s
Trying port /dev/ttyS4, baudrate 250000
... and so on

What did you already try to solve it?

I tried the debugging steps on the debugging tips page.

• I tried selecting /dev/ttyS4 manually and all of the available baudrates, but it can't connect
  • I tried enabling Wait for Start on connect, but it can't connect
  • Tried upping timeouts and attempts, but it can't connect
  • I tried plugging the printer into several other USB ports on the device; none of them seem to be the correct one (front and back ports)

Have you tried running in safe mode?

I did! It booted up with the message:

Safe mode is active

The server is currently running in safe mode. Third party plugins and language packs are disabled and cannot be enabled.

Reason: Setting in config.yaml

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

octoprint-systeminfo-20230325230305.zip (22.8 KB)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

I have Octoprint v1.8.7 running on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS on a NUC 11, connected to an Elegoo Neptune 3 Pro via a brand new printer data USB cable.

Pretty sure the port should be something like /dev/ttyusb0.

Since it's ubuntu let's try a solution to a common issue:
Run this in the terminal and reboot the machine afterwards sudo apt -y remove brltty.
It removes the brltty package which claims the usb connection when it's running.

If the command tells you that the package wasn't installed or it doesn't solve the issue disconnect the printer, connect it again, run dmesg | tail -n 20 and post the output here.

Another thing - just to be sure - you added the user to the tty and dialout groups, right?

1 Like

Oh my gosh! That seems to have done it! Thank you!

I removed brltty and suddenly /dev/ttyUSB0 showed up and connected!

Attempting a test print now! If this resolved it, I'll post back soon ℒ️

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.