SOLVED - Octopi Stopped Working

Hi All - I'm a newbie to this forum

I need a bit of help - my Octopi stopped working last night - I thought it would just require a reboot but it seems to be a bit more of a problem than I thought.
I get a page saying "The OctoPrint server is currently not running" and giving some instructions on what to do.
I followed the instructions - the ps -ef command returns nothing at all
I checked the Octoprint log for errors - there is one, but it was from prior to the current problem, and no new entries are being written to the log when I reboot/restart
I ran the restart server command but nothing appears to happen
Are there any other logs I can check ?
I have uploaded the octoprint log in case it gives any clues to those more experienced than I am

Thanks in advance for any help
Ben

octoprint.log (190.2 KB)

Hi @BennyBoyW!

It seems the Auto Bed Leveling Expert makes trouble:
`2018-11-25 16:44:22,235 - octoprint - ERROR - Exception on /api/plugin/ABL_Expert [POST]

2018-11-25 16:44:22,242 - tornado.access - ERROR - 500 POST /api/plugin/ABL_Expert (::ffff:192.168.1.122) 31.23ms`

Hi @Ewald_Ikemann
Ah OK - is there any way of uninstalling the plugin without being able to access the web interface ?

You can login via SSH and try this one here.
Keep in mind that the login via SSH needs the login name/password of the Raspberry Pi, not of OctoPrint.

Hi again @Ewald_Ikemann - sorry about this but I am still having trouble
I tried all of the following

~/oprint/bin/pip uninstall ABL_Expert
~/oprint/bin/pip uninstall Octoprint-ABL_Expert
~/oprint/bin/pip freeze | grep OctoPrint

But get the following error

import-im6.q16: unable to open X server `' @ error/import.c/ImportImageCommand/358.
import-im6.q16: unable to open X server `' @ error/import.c/ImportImageCommand/358.
/home/pi/oprint/bin/pip: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/home/pi/oprint/bin/pip: line 10: `    sys.argv[0] = re.sub(r'(-script\.pyw?|\.exe)?$', '', sys.argv[0])'

Does it look like pip is broken or (more likely) am I doing something wrong ?

You might try instead:

~/oprint/bin/pip uninstall Octoprint_ABL_Expert

...with an underscore instead of a hyphen.

Hi @OutsourcedGuru
Thanks for the reply but that doesn't work either …

pi@octopi:~ $ ~/oprint/bin/pip uninstall Octoprint_ABL_Expert
/home/pi/oprint/bin/pip: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/home/pi/oprint/bin/pip: line 10: `    sys.argv[0] = re.sub(r'(-script\.pyw?|\.exe)?$', '', sys.argv[0])'

Do you think I need to rebuild this Octopi all over again ?

Ben

Oh, I thought that was from your earlier attempt to run pip freeze but I see that it shows this for any pip-related command, it would seem.

The X server is the GUI-based desktop subsystem in Linux-based computers. Normally here in the OctoPi-imaged Raspberry Pi, it would be completely absent. (There's an option to add it in your ~/scripts folder, however.)

I would be curious to know what led to this predicament but the easiest fix is to grab another microSD and start over from scratch by installing the OctoPi image.

If you wanted to play with it some more, you could try to manually startup in Safe Mode and then try again to remove that plugin (using the version I gave you). If that fails, then something within your Raspbian thinks that you should have the Desktop version (versus the Lite version). If it works then you should bring this to the attention of that plugin author on his/her repository.

@OutsourcedGuru - Yeah I think it's probably easier to go for a new install - It will clean things up anyway.
I have no idea what caused this - I did a clean shutdown on Sunday and then turned the machine on again on Sunday evening with no joy at all :frowning:
Thanks for all the help though
Ben

Once you get that going again and all configured, shut the printer, pull the microSD and use something like ApplePi-Baker to burn a ZIP image of the card. This has saved me many times.

Once 1.4.0 comes out, you'll have the ability to backup/restore things more easily.

@OutsourcedGuru Thanks to you and others for your help. I rebuilt Octopi last night and backed up an image. I'll take another image when I have installed all the plugins I want.
I'm sure with time that I could have sorted the old version out, but time is at a premium at the moment so a rebuild was the sensible option.

1 Like

@BennyBoyW,

could you please mark the post that helped you mark as Solution.

Thank you.

@Ewald_Ikemann ok. I've done that now. Apologies - I'd missed that

1 Like

Yep. I try to value my own time/labor into the equation. Sometimes it's just cheaper to start fresh.