Solved - Update 1.8.2 introduced comms errors Ender 3 Pro (looks like plugin issues)

What is the problem?

Since the update to 1.8.2 my very stable OctoPi/Ender 3 Pro rig has been unusable with comms time-outs and stoppages. Some quite weird.

What did you already try to solve it?

Checked and changed cables and power supplies, all stable/issue remained when changed out.
Previous grounding power isolation tricks were applied. (tape over pin 1 and is still in place)
Additional accessories removed.
Added chokes to USB cable (two presently)

Have you tried running in safe mode?

No... I will look and report. Yes. I have since, and it helped.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

The initial test suggests yes. Bed adhesion problems caused issues this time.
Rerun and print completed fine. So it is working ok in safe mode.
Off to isolate plugin issues...
Interestingly SD Card issues have disappeared with the disabling of plugins. (I don't use the SD Card slot)
Added in all plugins and haven't been able to replicate issues.
Conclusion: Switching to safe mode cleared the SD Card issue and the original Comms issue (and this is after multiple power cycles of the rig) (SD Card Issue has been there for a long time prior)

Nope, it's back... SD card error too... Painstaking, turn off, and turn on plugins with multiple reboots routine about to ensue.

Nothing was found specifically on disabling a plug-in, power down (whole rig, printer and Pi), power up and wait, which was where I was seeing comms issues without needing to be printing.

I tried printing, which has triggered a strange filament change command sequence, which matches one plugin's support for filament changes. I have disabled that one and will see if things settle. Bugger if it is that plugin.

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)
octoprint-systeminfo-20220912134526.zip (101.4 KB)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint Version 1.8.2, About OctoPi Version 0.17.0, running on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1, Creality Ender 3 Pro, Creality v4.2.7 32 Bit Board with Marlin upgraded, Firefox/Chrome, macOS.

FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin bugfix-2.0.x (Mar 5 2021 10:22:26) SOURCE_CODE_URL:github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Ender 3 V4.2.7 EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:cede2a2f-41a2-
Cap:SERIAL_XON_XOFF:0
Cap:BINARY_FILE_TRANSFER:0
Cap:EEPROM:1
Cap:VOLUMETRIC:1
Cap:AUTOREPORT_TEMP:1
Cap:PROGRESS:0
Cap:PRINT_JOB:1
Cap:AUTOLEVEL:0
Cap:RUNOUT:1
Cap:Z_PROBE:0
Cap:LEVELING_DATA:0
Cap:BUILD_PERCENT:0
Cap:SOFTWARE_POWER:0
Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
Cap:EMERGENCY_PARSER:0
Cap:PROMPT_SUPPORT:1
Cap:SDCARD:1
Cap:REPEAT:0
Cap:AUTOREPORT_SD_STATUS:0
Cap:LONG_FILENAME:0
Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1
Cap:MOTION_MODES:0
Cap:ARCS:1
Cap:BABYSTEPPING:1
Cap:CHAMBER_TEMPERATURE:0
Cap:MEATPACK:1
ok N1 P15 B3

Solved, not specifically OctoPrint, as safe mode overcame the problem, but there's something in one of the 5 plugins that I have disabled that is interacting and causing issues.

I also inadvertently soft-bricked the printer with an old SD card in the printer drawer that had a .bin file for something else. So I'm now on the newest stable build of Marlin on 16 Sept 2022, and things seem to have settled down nicely again. (which won't help isolate the specific plugin that caused the original error.)

The new firmware now spits out Media Initialisation Failure, which is fine when there's no card, and the SD Card started behaving on both the old and new firmware with plugins disabled.

Maybe helpful to someone, but probably more questions than answers here :smiley:

If you are seeing an SD card corruption issue then you need to flash a new SD card or your going to chase continuous issues from the errors on the SD

Thanks, I'll check that. However, the SD card seems to be ok... I'm getting an SD Card initialisation failure with the card in or out. This may be a red herring, I will dig more.