Stuck on 1.3.12 ... missing details to move further

What is the problem?

Can't manage to update OctoPi as a newbie & intermittent user.

Background

Nearly 2 years ago I got an Ender 3, Raspberry PI 3 (+?) ... and it took a long hard day with many manual step by step instructions to get the raspberry pi up and running, working with peripherals, its touch screen, install octopi, etc. so I could get it access in a browser, upload a file via wifi and hit print.

Once that was done, I have depended on the internal update features of OctoPI, but gotten stuck a number of months ago.

I am on : 1.3.12
The update all button is there, but it does not work.

This is my Software Update page:

This version of the Python environment is not supported for direct updates.

To reduce the likelihood of running into update problems in outdated environments, the following minimal versions are required to use this updater to update OctoPrint or any installed plugins:

• Python: 2.7.9 (you have: 2.7.9)
  • pip: 9.0.3 (you have: 9.0.1)
  • setuptools: 39.0.1 (you have: 5.5.1)

Please take a look at this FAQ entry on how to proceed.

Current versions

OctoPrint : 1.3.12
Installed: 1.3.12Available: 1.4.2 (stable release)Release Notes: https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint/releases/tag/1.4.2
FileManager Plugin : 0.1.4
Installed: 0.1.4Available: Version 0.1.4Release Notes: https://github.com/Salandora/OctoPrint-FileManager/releases/tag/0.1.4

Update all
Check for update now

I go from

To

And am none the wiser as to how to do ^^^^

What did you already try to solve it?

There are FAQ, do this, that, etc ... but they never have the exact concrete steps as to: do this here, do that there ... simply a vague do x, but if this then ... and there we go, one article leads to another ... and I end up with 10 open tabs and nothing updated or fixed.

These things may be self-evident to unix / Linux / ... CLI enthusiasts and experts in the field ... but connect to ??? via ???

I'm sorry, but since installation my interaction to my OctoPi has been as following:
I connect to OctoPrint in my browser via 192.168.0.xx (static IP address) , give it my username and password, connect to the printer, upload a file, print.

I never touched or updated the raspberry pi since, never interacted with octoprint outside of what it prompts me to do, which worked great, until maybe 6 months ago (?) and then whatever was not up to date ... and every time I look further ...

Complete Logs

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

OctoPrint 1.3.12

OctoPrint : 1.3.12
Installed: 1.3.12Available: 1.4.2 (stable release)Release Notes: https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint/releases/tag/1.4.2
FileManager Plugin : 0.1.4
Installed: 0.1.4Available: Version 0.1.4

This version of the Python environment is not supported for direct updates.

To reduce the likelihood of running into update problems in outdated environments, the following minimal versions are required to use this updater to update OctoPrint or any installed plugins:

• Python: 2.7.9 (you have: 2.7.9)
  • pip: 9.0.3 (you have: 9.0.1)
  • setuptools: 39.0.1 (you have: 5.5.1)

... why it complains something needs to be updated, then says I have that ... ???

Long story short.
As a complete Raspberry PI & OctoPrint novice / newbie ...
I would sincerely welcome a few pointers as to how to get back on track.

PS: I use OS X, pretty much stock system, with Safari as a browser.

I would suggest you backup your octoprint via the webinterface, flash a fresh 0.17.0 octopi image on your sd card (or a new one if you want to keep the old as a backup), restore your backup and update it then to the latest release.

This way you don't have to do anything in a command line.

Thank you for the fast reply.

I take it / hope that flashing will not erase everything that is on the SD card?
But I still need to start over with setup as far as the pi's touch screen, wifi, printer, ... ?

Or is that preserved with the backup? And doing the restore will take care of that?

These instructions are for a fresh start ...

A good place to start?

But how would I get the touch screen working again?
I pretty much only have used it to shut down the pi.

Unfortunately it will delete everything that is currently on the sd card.

at least your printer and Octoprint settings are part of the backup. You can also backup the octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt from the boot partition with your mac - but I can't really tell you how. I've never seen a mac. I guess you would put in the sd card, open the boot partition and just copy the file to a folder.

It depends on what touch display you got. How did you get it working the first time?

The touch display I have is:

https://wiki.52pi.com/index.php/5-Inch-800x480-HDMI-GPIO-Touch-Screen_SKU:EP-0072

Will try to sit down and revisit this over the weekend.

I am in the process of getting it up and running.

Failing to get the desktop environment back on my pi + screen.

Screen works, but cannot get the desktop & boot option sorted.

See also: Trouble getting desktop enviroment to boot

I have the command line, got the desktop environment, but the boot option wants

sudo apt-get install lightdm

which works fine for the first half, I confirm with Y, then it is pages worth of errors, failed to fetch ...

Sudo startx does not work.

Ok, so looking things over, rebooting the unit, it is saying agin to do the desktop install.
Studying the screen as it flashes by ...

sudo /home/pi/scripts/install-desktop

going to install ...
updating package list ...

Screenshot of the issue

Which probably causes all the other errors that follow.

??? :confused:

octopi.local also does not work.

tried the raspberry wifi options gave it ssd and password. rebooted. same thing.

not sure what to try, where to look

hoping somebody can help

Still stuck ...

17 is installed.

It will not install the desktop.
It cannot be found on the network.
I suspect it refuses to go online, despite the fact that I properly edited the WPA/WPA2 section in the supplicant file.

Just to be sure - did you remove the # at the lines you edited in the wpa file?
Sry that I missed your posts

Yes, I absolutely did.

I went over this several times in the past couple months.

Frustrated enough to nearly toss everything out the window, I strung an ethernet cable, and found via the desktop environment that the the thing configured itself as UK.

More info: OctoPi WiFi/network connection troubleshooting megatopic