Suggest modern printer to work with octoprint?

I want a modern printer, preferrably corexy, that works with octoprint. I also want everything to work out of the box. I've gotten too old to customize firmware or do custom installs inside the printer cpu.

Every printer that looks good to me so far has klipper built in. My google searching says that it is a pain to try to replace klipper with octoprint. This is very dissapointing since I've used octoprint for many years and have fine-tuned it to my likeing.

Can someone suggest a modern printer that still works with octoprint out of the box?

I assume this is because of the embedded OS that the manufacturers are installing on these devices? For example, I know someone was working on Creality K1 integration here.

I've given up after much googling. I ordered a bambu p1s which has it's own slicer and octoprint-like control. So I will have to use octoprint on my prusa mk3s and the built-in controller for bambu which is a real pain but I don't have a choice.

I hope octoprint doesn't slowly go away as all printers become apple-like walled gardens.

1 Like

If it makes you feel any better I do have a Bambu XIC and have been investigating OctoPrint integration. I don't think it will be quite as good as an integration as Marlin, but sending files through OctoPrint and such will be possible once I get around to developing the plugin.

1 Like

But I've read on google that you have to flash the onboard controller which I really don't want to do.

Nope, it uses the same connection that their slicer uses to connect and display info and allow control. Not much different from that aspect. Not sure if the P1S has the local camera view option like the X1C has in the newer firmware versions, but I have successfully connected to that with go2rtc and been able to embed the stream into OctoPrint.

cool.

<junk chars to get over the extremely stupid 10 char limit>

The P1P is the bare frame model, the S is enclosed.
On the S there is a camera but only 1280 x 720 @ 0.5fps, it's good for time lapse but nothing much more.
As the S is enclosed it has a built in light.
There isn't much processing power spare to do very much, the interface gives you access to hot end and bed temperatures, internal light and limited control over the print head. Everything is copied to the SD card, no SD card = no printing.
You have to push to the SD card, I thought that this would be over my network direct to the printer but it just uses the network to stream through a bambu server to the printer (WHY????) so there won't be any status from the printer itself other than % of print and temps. It currently (I do hope they sort this out) impossible to start a job remotely if that job has been stored on the SD, you can't even see the contents remotely.
For the S think fairly downgraded X1C, for the P think upgradable to S.
In terms of quality the P is good but material limited as it's an open frame, the S is better and the X1's have a better UI at the printer. They all share the same mechanics though.

Having got used to using Octoprint with my old delta I find it very painful and a very retro step in terms of control. I expected slightly more than I got but did get pretty comparable print capibility as the X1 series.
I grabbed an image of the UI as it is, it does.has changed between versions so may improve, or not!

I wonder if it's actually worth the effort attempting to control the P1 series through Octoprint, the X1's are more likely to get a better outcome in terms of functionality.

I'm currently working on a Raspberry Pi integration with MQTT and Octoprint with my P1S, just getting started but I will hopefully be able to put in a pi camera and Run Octo print remotely via my Pi 4

Ah, you're going to beat me to it. I was planning on doing the same for my X1C. I have already gotten it to integrate fairly well for Simply Print, including file uploads and remote control from their system. It's currently still being worked on by their team now I think.

I'm hoping to also grab the MQTT info from the printer and put them in a grafana chart. or something similar I can put on my console. We shall see. long road ahead, LOVE the printer but don't like routing everything I print through the cloud and their servers. Got nothing to hide , but also nothing to share. :slight_smile: heck if I get the pi working I might just print a bracket and mount the pi to my printer with a touch screen...baby steps....

1 Like

You can enable local only mode can't you and just send/monitor/control direct with slicer? That's how I run mine currently. I built the Simply Print integration around the pybambu module developed in this HA integration: GitHub - greghesp/ha-bambulab: A Home Assistant Integration for Bambu Lab Printers

Are you still working on getting Bambu Printers on Octoprint? If so, I'm happy to offer as much assistance as possible. I have a P1P and soon a P1S.
I have the MQTT plugins for Homeassistant, the only thing they're sadly missing is to be able to select some GCODE and print it. I'm not even sure if that's possible.
I have a Pi4 with a camera attached waiting for Octoprint to be able to connect to a Bambu printer. I believe it'll be much quicker than my LAN mode taking 4 mins to upload a 20MB file.

I haven't started yet, but don't think it will be too difficult. Was possibly going to work on it during my vacation next week. I used the underlying module from the HA integration to start an integration for SimplyPrint, that currently is being refined by their internal team and soon to be in beta.

Haven't done the file list from the Bambu side but have been able to upload to it and start the print I uploaded with that SImplyPrint integration. Fairly certain that I can get the file listing stuff to work but not sure yet how to provide that data to OctoPrint's file list mechanism yet.

1 Like

Have made some progress yesterday. Am able to report temperatures and list the files in OctoPrint mimicking a virtual SD card basically. Will be working on it again starting tomorrow, but I know file upload integration will be minimal. I think the trick is going to be when starting a print, to be able to prompt for the options like timelapse, use AMS (with potential filament spool selection), flow calibration, and bed leveling.

1 Like

This is epic news, please let me know if I can do anything, I'm familiar with most code, but don't know how the interface between the Pi and the printer is set up.

Loving this. I'm replacing my current printer and have been using Octoprint with all of my printers to date. I ordered a Bambu A1 with the AMS lite feeder before looking to see if it was compatible with Octoprint. After finding that it is not, I have been going through Octoprint withdrawal. This thread gives me hope. :grinning:

1 Like

I've recently learned that not all Bambu models work exactly the same as my X1 for file transfer or start print commands so there may be a little growing pains at first. Unfortunately development was slowed for several days trying to get a required multi-color print completed that required a couple of attempts and was 24+ hours long.

1 Like

I don't mean to push, and perhaps this chat would do better on a new page dedicated to problem solving OctoPrint to Bambu issues, but have you made any progress?

I've been working on it here and there. Waiting on an official update release to the upstream pybambu module I'm using to manage the communication. Until that release the plugin is currently limited to working out of the box in python 3.10+ only.

You can monitor progress, follow, test, report bugs etc. at the repository linked below. Current working state seems fairly reliable with my X1, but uploads for A1 and P1 devices are still not currently possible I don't think. There are limitations, the plugin assumes a single plate in the 3mf file. I've seen some quirks with how sending a print from slicer also does weird things because of the way the file is named.

1 Like