Temperature Issues with Ender 3 S1 Plus

What is the problem?

I just updated to the latest version of Octoprint today and on my Ender 3 S1 Plus the extruder does not start heating until the bed has reached the set point. Then the extruder starts to heat. On previous version they both started heating at the same time.

What did you already try to solve it?

Nothing it worked prior to this latest upgrade.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

NO

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

N/A

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

octoprint-systeminfo-20230629145718.zip (46.8 KB)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

My printer is an Ender 3 S1 Plus running on a Laptop as a print server with Ubuntu and OctoPrint. Also remotely connect o the lap top server from my Windows PC upstairs.

Pretty sure your start gcode defines it that way.
Either you changed the start gcode or you used a plugin before.

Post your start gcode and I'll tell you what you need to change :slight_smile:

1 Like

Before I did the upgarde they both started at the same time. I did not change anything.

I thought the temp settings come from CURA into the G.Code. I change the nozzle temp in CURA based on printing very light or very dark colors.

Here is my start code from CURA.

--------Machine Config--------------
;Machine Name:Creality Ender-3 S1 Plus

G28 ;Home
G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder
G1 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z Axis up
G1 X10.1 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position
G1 X10.1 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line
G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little
G1 X10.4 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line
G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder

There are any heating commands at all.

Do you have some code in the OctoPrint GCODE Scripts?

I dont think its going to be in the start code. That does not sound right. But the slicer would be the place this gcode comes from under normal operation.

I think @Ewald_Ikemann is likely right that you had some plugin that enabled the hot end and the bed to heat at the same time but... I also am thinking that its very normal and maybe even necessary for the bed to heat up first. I recall something about the way Marlin handles the commands.. It can only really do one at a time and if you tell it to not wait for the first command (heat the bed) before you say move on and (heat the hot end) you are creating a race between the 2 where once the second command finishes (Hot end met temp) you will find that it tries to start to print.

Could be wrong here but every printer I have running marlin with slice from Cura does the bed and then the hot end.

Both the bed and the nozzle have two commands to control the temperature, one that waits and one that doesn't. M104 and M109 for the nozzle and M140 and M190 for the bed. The sequence:

M104 S200   ; Start the nozzle
M140 S60     ; Start the bed
M109 S200   ; Wait for the nozzle
M190 S60     ; Wait for the bed

will heat both the nozzle and the bed at the same time. Note that there are additional parameters for M109 and M190 that can fine tune the temperature journey.

This, of course, has nothing to do with the original problem but upgrading OctoPrint from 1.9.0 to 1.9.1 probably has nothing to do with the original problem either.

Here is the G-code file that came from Cura.
20mm Threaded Holder Cap.gcode (2.3 MB)

Also I am unable to manually edit the hot end temperature in Octoprint. I can manually edit it for the bed.

They would both heat at the same time before I upgraded Octoprint. See my screen shot that shows the hot end as off. I am not even able to adjust the hot end manually until the bed is to the set limit. I was always able to do this before the update as I wanted to get a head start on the heating while I set up the print. You can see in the graph that the hot end set point doesn't go up until the bed temp is reached.

Is there a setting for the hot end manual start that maybe I turned off accidently?

I just tested trying to manually set the bed temp first and then the hot end and it worked and both heat up at the same time and starts to print when the temps are reached.

Still having same issue if I start the print from Octoprint (with no manual temp settings) the hot end waits until the bed is reached before it starts to heat.

I really appreciate all the help guys. I am a bit of a newbie but learning fast.

This is exactly what Cura generated:

;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 5.3.1
M140 S60
M105
M190 S60
M104 S205
M105
M109 S205

From your previous post of your start gcode and the post of the complete gcode the following is output BEFORE the start gcode:

;FLAVOR:Marlin
;TIME:2904
;Filament used: 2.02769m
;Layer height: 0.2
;MINX:129.469
;MINY:129.493
;MINZ:0.2
;MAXX:170.531
;MAXY:170.509
;MAXZ:25
;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 5.3.1
M140 S60
M105
M190 S60
M104 S205
M105
M109 S205
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
;----------Machine Config--------------
;Machine Name:Creality Ender-3 S1 Plus

Have you also updated Cura? What version of Cura are you using?

Assuming that you are using Ultimaker Cura 5.3.1, it has a "feature" that if there are no temperature commands in the start gcode, it will generate its own and output them before the start gcode. To solve your problem, change your start gcode to:

; Ender 3 S1 Plus Start G-code
M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; start bed heating up
M109 R{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for extruder to reach printing temp
M190 R{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for bed to reach printing temp
G28 ;Home
G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder
G1 X10.1 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position
G1 X10.1 Y200.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line
G1 X10.4 Y200.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little
G1 X10.4 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line
G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder
1 Like

Thank you very much.

this start code does exactly what I want it to do. This was a great lesson for me.

I think the whole thing actually started when I switched from Creality Slicer to CURA Slicer and I just never noticed the change until now.

Many thanks to all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.