The OctoPrint server is currently not running (critical error)

What is the problem?

The OctoPrint server is currently not running

If you just started up your Raspberry Pi, please wait a couple of seconds, then try to refresh this page.

If the issue persists, please log into your Raspberry Pi via SSH and check the following:

• Verify that the process is running: ps -ef | grep -i octoprint | grep -i python should show a python process:

pi@octopi:~ $ ps -ef | grep -i octoprint | grep -i python
pi 1441 1 6 11:12 ? 00:00:15 /home/pi/oprint/bin/python
/home/pi/oprint/bin/octoprint --host=127.0.0.1 --port=5000

• If it isn't, the question is why. Take a look into ~/.octoprint/logs/octoprint.log, there might be an error logged in there that helps to determine what's wrong.
  • You might also want to try if you can restart the server (if no obvious error is visible): sudo service octoprint restart.

If all that doesn't help to trouble shoot the issue, you can seek support on the OctoPrint Community Forum. Please provide your OctoPi and OctoPrint versions as well as your octoprint.log and explain what you already tried and observed as detailed as possible.

What did you already try to solve it?

1. the directions above
  2. /home/pi/oprint/bin/octoprint serve

2022-11-27 12:42:19,287 - octoprint.settings - ERROR - Could not write test file to /home/pi/.octoprint/logs/.testballoon.txt
OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.7/site-packages/octoprint/settings.py", line 2396, in _validate_folder
f.write("test")
OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device
2022-11-27 12:42:19,290 - octoprint.startup - CRITICAL - Could not initialize settings manager: Folder at /home/pi/.octoprint/logs doesn't appear to be writable, please fix its permissions
2022-11-27 12:42:19,290 - octoprint.startup - CRITICAL - There was a fatal error starting up OctoPrint.
Could not initialize settings manager: Folder at /home/pi/.octoprint/logs doesn't appear to be writable, please fix its permissions
There was a fatal error starting up OctoPrint.

1. Gather logs with ~/.octoprint/logs/octoprint.log and got "Permission denied"

2. ~/oprint/bin/octoprint systeminfo
    Could not initialize settings manager: Folder at /home/pi/.octoprint/logs doesn't appear to be writable, please fix its permissions
    There was a fatal error initializing the platform.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

I can't access the system, so I dont know how to restart in safe mode

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

Additional information about your setup

I have 2 pis, because I can't access this one, I will assume all the information is the same from my other pi.

OctoPrint 1.8.6
Python 3.7.3
OctoPi 0.18.0
I installed everything myself about 2 months ago, I know at a minimum it has bed mesh visualizer. I just don't remember if I installed any other add-ons.

I had finished a print over night, and when I went to do another print, I received that error

This is your issue - your SD card is full. What size card do you have?

32G

I didn't know I stored anything on it

What's next?

Ssh to the pi and run df -h to see what space there is on the / filesystem
Then run sudo raspi-config
Go to advanced options and select expand filesystem. Exit and it will reboot. Ssh back in and do df -h again. / Should have room

pi@octopi:~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 117G 2.1G 111G 2% /
devtmpfs 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1.9G 193M 1.7G 11% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 253M 54M 199M 22% /boot
tmpfs 378M 0 378M 0% /run/user/1000

AFTER THE RESIZE
pi@octopi:~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 117G 2.1G 111G 2% /
devtmpfs 1.8G 0 1.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1.9G 8.5M 1.9G 1% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 253M 54M 199M 22% /boot
tmpfs 378M 0 378M 0% /run/user/1000

Still same results

What's next please?

What you haven't told us (explicitly) is what system and OS OctoPrint is installed on and how did OctoPrint get installed. Include version numbers, model numbers, etc.

You state that you have (maybe) installed bed mesh visualizer. If you indeed did that, then OctoPrint was running some time in the past.

Since this is a pretty strange error, I'd suggest starting over as you may have a corrupted installation.

I have 2 pis, because I can't access this one, I will assume all the information is the same from my other pi.

OctoPrint 1.8.6
Python 3.7.3
OctoPi 0.18.0

I installed everything myself about 2 months ago, I know at a minimum it has bed mesh visualizer. I just don't remember if I installed any other add-ons.

I had finished a print over night, and when I went to do another print, I received that error.

(I've updated my original post to include all this)

starting over, is my last resort which I will be doing shortly if there isn't another way around it.

If you have two RPi systems, have you tried swapping the microSD cards between them? If the issue follows the microSD card, then you will know which card needs to be rebuilt.

Alternatively, if you have a third microSD card you could image it with OctoPi and see if the wonky RPi likes that one any better.

I have a USB SD card reader/writer for my desktop Windows PC. I can also plug it into a USB port on my RPi and use rpi-clone to make a copy. You could do this on your working RPi to make a new card for the wonky one.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.