The server is not reachable

I have installed octoprint on my Raspberry pie 3 B V1.2, got it to connect to wifi (using notepad++ to edit the file), managed to login to SSH, but each time I test the server (8.8.8.8, port 53) it says the server is not reachable.

I have re-installed (flashed) the SD card 5 or 6 times now, the last 2 times I deleted the octopirnt files and downloaded them again (zip file) from the website. I have tried connecting via an Ethernet cable (which is normally connected to a PC which is able to get on the internet).

Logs (syslog, dmesg, ... no logs, no support)

octoprint.log (33.0 KB)

Additional information about your network (Hardware you are trying to connect to, hardware you are trying to connect from, router, access point, used operating systems, ...)

I am trying to use WiFi to connect (which seem to work as I can login to the web interface through the octoprint IP address (it also comes up in the network page on file explorer.

I am using windows 10 for my system, I am using chrome for the web brouser, I am using Putty to connect via SSH (although I can log in, SSH is a bit beyond my skill set at the moment).

The router is a brand new out of the bow router from my IPS 'EE' in the UK. It is called an 'EE smart HUB'. It was installed about a week ago.

The raspberry pi is connected to power with a 2.5 Amp power supply.

All other WiFi enabled devices are able to connect to the internet through this router.

Iv been reading through the forums and seen that it is possible to try different server settings, but I am unsure what the other options would be, I did a google for different options but didn't see anything specifically related to octoprint that had alternatives with port numbers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone has any ideas about how to get the server to connect that would be great!

@Chris_Mason Because you didn't provide all the information that was asked, we have to assume things about your configuration which may make an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

OctoPrint is software installable on many different operating systems. I'm going to assume that you are using OctoPi as your operating system. Connecting OctoPi to your WiFi (router or access point) is only the first step towards connecting to the internet. Unless you have manually configured the networking, OctoPi will request an IP address from a DHCP server. In addition to the IP address, the DHCP server should provide a netmask, a gateway IP address, and DNS server IP address(es). Finally, to reach the internet, OctoPi will send attempt to send packets through the gateway and expects the gateway to provide responses.

IP address 8.8.8.8 port 53 is the address of Google's DNS server and port 53 is the normal DNS port. Some ISPs don't allow DNS requests to anywhere but their own DNS servers and this may be the case here.

What we need from you is the output of a "ipconfig /all" and a "route print" from a command window on your Windows 10 system and from an SSH (PuTTY) terminal, "ifconfig", "route", and "traceroute 8.8.8.8" on your RPi. You can right-click on the PuTTY window and do a copy all to clipboard followed by a paste in Notepad++ to create a file containing the output.

2 Likes

@b-morgan Thanks for your response.

Apologies for the lack of detail I provided ( I am new to raspberry pi related stuff), when I looked at the log file I attached it says this:

hardware:
| cores: 4
| freq: 1200.0
| ram: 917016576
| os:
| id: linux
| platform: linux2
| plugins:
| pi_support:
| model: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
| octopi_version: 0.17.0
| python:
| pip: 19.3.1
| version: 2.7.16
| virtualenv: /home/pi/oprint

I hope that helps.

Here is the additional info you requested:

Further Details_.zip (2.6 KB)

Thanks for your help! I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Chris

Your Windows 10 system shows the default gateway as 192.168.1.254 but the RPi shows 192.168.1.1 which according to the traceroute, goes nowhere. This would explain why it can't see 8.8.8.8. Now we need to figure out why the RPi is getting the wrong information.

Windows 10:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.135(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

RPi:

wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.7  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.1.255

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    303    0        0 wlan0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     303    0        0 wlan0

Please attach the RPi to the network with an Ethernet cable again, reboot the RPi ("sudo reboot"), and execute the "ifconfig", "route", "traceroute 8.8.8.8", and "grep -i dhcp /var/log/syslog".

I'd also like to see the DHCP configuration settings in the router. It should have a web interface and perhaps a user manual. You may need to contact your ISP if you can't find this information yourself.

@b-morgan - I'm not sure what happened, but I took the card out the raspberry pi because it was not connecting to the WIFI, I opened the 'octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt' file in notepad++ to check the WIFI details. They were correct.

I plugged it back into the raspberry pi, and now it is working. Octoprint is now connected to the internet and the server is now reachable. I can get on the plugin manager, and have just downloaded octolapse.

I did nothing else, so don't know if you would like me to send you any details of the logs etc for reference?

Glad to hear its working and I don't need any more information.