Trouble connecting to M3D Micro

What is the problem?
I can't connect Octoprint to my M3D Micro printer.

What did you already try to solve it?
Power cycling, reboots, different versions of Octoprint and also a old bugfix version I found of M33Fio

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)

Setup: Debian Linux in a Parallels VM, Octoprint 1.3.9rc4 (had to update from 1.3.8 because I wasn't able to install plugins), M33Fio 1.21 from plugins repo.

I am a beginner to Octoprint and I'm trying to connect to my M3D micro printer with the original firmware. Terminal output:

Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Detecting serial port"
Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
Changing monitoring state from "Detecting serial port" to "Opening serial port"
Connected to: Serial<id=0xb34224cc, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=None, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Starting baud rate detection...
Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial port" to "Detecting baudrate"
Trying baudrate: 115200Recv: wait
Connection closed, closing down monitor
Changing monitoring state from "Detecting baudrate" to "Offline"Send: N0 M110 N0*125

If I click "connect" for a second time, the printer makes a small sound and switches the LED off and on again, and I see the following in the terminal:

Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Detecting serial port"
Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
Changing monitoring state from "Detecting serial port" to "Opening serial port"
Connected to: Serial<id=0xb32352cc, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=None, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Starting baud rate detection...
Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial port" to "Detecting baudrate"
Trying baudrate: 115200
Recv: wait
Changing monitoring state from "Detecting baudrate" to "Offline"
Connection closed, closing down monitor
Send: N0 M110 N0*125

afraid I wont be much help, other than to say i hate this printer lol... get a different one haha.

Of course it's not a very good printer, but I was hoping to get more out of it with OctoPrint...

It seems that nobody here can help me with my problem. Is there any other place where I could discuss my setup?

I don't know if the m33fio dev frequents this here forum but the git repository for it is here https://github.com/donovan6000/M33-Fio Normally git issue trackers aren't meant to be used for asking for help but if you've done everything "by the book" then it may indicate a bug that the author may wish to know about. You could try posting about it over there and include as much info as you can.

Looks like there's a closed issue on this page which suggests that one could re-install the plugin from the developer's branch which might work. Somewhere deep in this thread they're suggesting that the M3D's firmware needs to be updated.

Here's a second issue that sounds related.

Thanks a lot, I somehow didn't find these discussions myself! I just changed to the devel branch and will test this as soon as I have access to my printer again.

I tried both of the proposed solutions, however nothing worked. I now gave up and ordered a Pi 3B+ and am very sure that it's going to work on it. Probably it's an issue with the VM (even if the original M3D software runs fine in a Parallels Windows VM).

It probably would have been better to have gotten a 3B (no plus). There are issues with the plus version freezing up. If you keep the 3B+, just keep an eye on it. If it freezes up, you could consider trying to lower the processor speed.