Troubleshooting feedback on usb web cams / Logitech c270

Hi this is my first message :slight_smile:

I have a Logitech C270 usb webcam, I found my video very behind and jumpy, so I started to trouble shoot it.

After getting myself up to speed on how it all works here is what I found
The FPS kept defaulting to 30 FPS, then I realized my device is on the broken fps list.
I started the mjpg_streamer service manually and had no problem getting it to work, Hmmm, OK now to find out where this list of broken FPS devices is located, I did more digging and found the script it was in, I removed it. and it seems to work fine although I notice 5FPS doesn't work but 10 and 15 does seem to work..

It was still behind but seems better. I then add a -q 0 after the -f 10, I assume this is 0 compression which frees up the CPU.

This seem to help a lot.

So here is my suggestion, the broken list should not be hard coded. it should be added to the Octopi.txt config file and then a small description could explain if the fps completely does not work or just certain settings and then I can see my device on the list which make trouble shooting easier.

My device is a Logitech C270 (046d:0825)
As far as I can tell it works fine except for 5fps and therefore it should not be hard coded in the Webcamd script.

camera_usb_options="-r 640x480 -f 10 -q 0"

Hope this helps

Hello @BML !

You may use the correct subforum. I move it vor you.

Please provide the following informations in your next post:

Camera model

What is the problem?

What did you already try to solve it?

Logs (/var/log/webcamd.log, syslog, dmesg, ... no logs, no support)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, ...)

This looks more like troubleshooting advice for others than a request for help to me.

1 Like

I am not looking for help.. As the Title says. I am providing feedback

1. The broken FPS device list I suggest should not be hard coded
  2. A Logitech C270 is a very popular camera that others might want to get working better.
  3. Suggesting to try a performance increase by reducing the mpeg compression Thus reducing CPU load

Maybe I misunderstood the thought behind this Community Forum ? Is it just for asking for help then ? and not for providing feedback and suggestion ?
?????

1 Like

No, you can of course provide feedback & help others :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Perfect :slight_smile: :grinning:

Sorry for the misunderstanding... :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

No Worries. I just sign up so I don't have the lay of the land yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a small update: I am doing some prints today and what a difference in performance. Before I had a 20 second or more lag in video and maybe just a second now which is normal and it is much more smooth.
The only issue is I will have to remember the change I made as I am sure an update will overwrite the script I had to mod. I hope in further releases they will move that string of bad fps devices to the OctoPi.txt file instead of the Webcamd script