Unable to connect to PowerSpec Ultra 2.0

What is the problem?
I’m unable to get Octoprint to detect my PowerSpec Ultra 2.0 printer, which I was told is a rebranded Max and is supposed to be open source according to Micro center’s site. This is not the PowerSpec Ultra, it’s the newer Ultra 2.0.

What did you already try to solve it?
Installed GPX plugin, tried changing serial port speed in printers web UI from default of 2000000 to 115200, tons of searching but not much info on the ultra 2.0

Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)

Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Error: Connection error, see Terminal tab" Unexpected error while connecting to serial port: None IOError: 'GPX plugin not able to discover AUTO port and/or baudrate. Please choose specific values for them.' @ comm.py:_openSerial:2691 (hook GPX) Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Error: Connection error, see Terminal tab"

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)

I’m using a new install of Octoprint 1.4 running on a RasPi 3B

This plugin might help you

Thanks, it seems like that got me one step closer. I now get the error below. It can see the printer which is good, it just doesn't know what it is. It looks as if it was assigned a new ID it doesn't recognize, but was told this is a dreamer. Is there any way to bypass that error?

Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Detecting serial port"
Serial port list: []
Changing monitoring state from "Detecting serial port" to "Error: Failed to autodetect serial port, please set it manually."
Failed to autodetect serial port, please set it manually.
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Error: Connection error, see Terminal tab"
Unexpected error while connecting to serial port: AUTO FlashForgeError: 'Found an unsupported FlashForge printer 'unknown' with USB ID: 0X00F6' @ comm.py:_openSerial:2691 (hook flashforge)

I got it "working" ; I say that loosely since I haven't tried printing yet but I have verified I can turn the heating elements on and off and move the heads and bed properly. I'm going to try a print shortly. To get it talking to the printer, I did the following:

1. I downloaded a local copy of the repo
  2. In the file "init.py", I modified the following line below to include a definition for the PowerSpec Ultra 2. (Updated version below)

PRINTER_IDS = {
"PowerSpec": {0x0001: "Ultra 3DPrinter"},
"Dremel": {0x8889: "Dremel IdeaBuilder 3D20"},
"FlashForge": {0x0001: "Dreamer", 0x000A: "Dreamer NX", 0x0002: "Finder v1", 0x0005: "Inventor", 0x0007: "Finder v2", 0x00e7: "Creator Max", 0x00F6: "PowerSpec Ultra V2", 0x00ff: "PowerSpec Ultra 3DPrinter" }}

1. I had to SSH into OctoPi and add the line below to the file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2b71", MODE="0666"

1 Like

Any updates? Need some help with my printer. Would like to set up OctoPrint.

I guess he got it working
Did you try the Plugin?

Hi I'm the developer for the plugin OctoPrint-FlashForge. The device ID for this PowerSpec printer has been added to the plugin so you should be able to install the plugin and connect to your printer without having to modify any code. You will have to set up permissions to access the USB port but the plugin will provide some instructions on what needs to be done.

Just to set expectations - right now the plugin will allow you to control steppers, temperatures and upload files to the printer's SD card to kick off a print and pause, cancel. Direct control of printer (ie being able to see layer by layer printing in OctoPrint) is not working yet.

Please give it a try and then report any issues in the GitHub repo.