Undervoltage Detected

What is the problem?

I am a newbie to RPi and all things Octo
I am constantly getting under voltage detected warning in the top right corner of my octoprint window. This along with the octoprint shutting down the heat for the nozzle and bed after 18 hours exactly.

What did you already try to solve it?

Searched the forum, reinstalled Octoprint (I happened across Octoprint/Octopi) the first day it was released and updated to be downloaded...I have never used or had an older version) I tried several different recommendations on the forum but both problems persist.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes, and full fresh install of OS and Octoprint.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)
browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/98.0.4758.109 Safari/537.36
connectivity.connection_check: 1.1.1.1:53
connectivity.connection_ok: True
connectivity.enabled: True
connectivity.online: True
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: True
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1500.0
env.hardware.ram: 3971153920
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version: 0.18.0
env.plugins.pi_support.octopiuptodate_build: 0.18.0-1.7.3-20220120112925
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x50005
env.python.pip: 20.3.3
env.python.version: 3.7.3
env.python.virtualenv: True
octoprint.safe_mode: False
octoprint.version: 1.7.3
systeminfo.generator: zipapi

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Raspberry Pi 4B
Raspberry Pi Power Supply (Black)
Raspberry Pi Ice Tower
Logitech C922 Pro
SanDisk 32GB Micro SD

---will add Samsung T5 HDD if this gets sorted---

If you remove these extra peripherals, does the undervoltage warning go away? They might be drawing too much power causing the undervoltage problem.

Yes to the Camera

I will try the Ice Tower shortly and let you know.

edit: will take a bit, unable to connect

Thank you for responding

sorry for the late reply. When I remove the camera, yes the voltage warning goes away. With the tape on the pin the pin as elsewhere on the forum I still have the popup the warning.
The Ice Tower removed initially did fix the issue until I begun printing (Ender 3 S1) then up pops the warning.
I was going to be attaching a 3.5" touch screen to better my print workflow. I have been using the SD card manually from iMac to Pi walking outside to the room where the print will be (is) housed.

I will try a new install on a 16GB card to see how that works.

It does sound like there's maybe too many peripherals attached for the power supply, for the camera you can try a powered USB hub, or a more powerful PSU for the overall RPi.

sorry for my ignorance, so the 5v 2A isn't a firm "you must use", more like a minimum suggestion?

as for a powered hub, will have a look see now.

Thank You Charlie, I have reinstalled a clean Octoprint.
Done the initial setup.
I can connect to octoprint but I can not figure out my problem of unable to connect; so i do not know if the changes and powered hub work.

Under State: Offline after error is the message I get/keep getting. I have tried rebooting, restarting, restarting in safe mode still unable to connect. So far I have found nothing in the forum to begin to help (unless I am searching wrong).

Any Ideas?

is this the right file to upload?
browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/98.0.4758.109 Safari/537.36
connectivity.connection_check: 8.8.8.8:53
connectivity.connection_ok: True
connectivity.enabled: True
connectivity.online: True
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: True
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1500.0
env.hardware.ram: 3971153920
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version: 0.18.0
env.plugins.pi_support.octopiuptodate_build: 0.18.0-1.7.3-20220120112925
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x0
env.python.pip: 20.3.3
env.python.version: 3.7.3
env.python.virtualenv: True
octoprint.safe_mode: False
octoprint.version: 1.7.3
systeminfo.generator: zipapi

thanks in advance

Have no idea what was wrong. After a number of restarts it works

Thank you to those that helped, I have taken your advice and have used them moving forward.

I use a quality 3 amp power supply on my setup. 2 amps is an absolute minimum and for lower end models of Pi. If running one of the more power-hungry Raspberry Pi models, it really should be a 2.5 Amp minimum, and probably 3 amps for a Pi 4. Adding peripherals can strain even the 3 amp supply.

In addition, many USB cables have conductors that are too small to handle 2.5 amps (or more) without causing an unacceptable voltage drop.

Some aftermarket power supplies do not deliver the amperage they claim - at least not at the required voltage.

Charlie had a good suggestion: If you are running peripherals on a Pi, consider using a powered USB hub. That way, your peripherals are drawing power from the hib, and not through the Pi. There are limits to how much current the Pi's power interface can handle, so just continuing to bump of the Pi's power supply is not always the best answer.

I've been away from this for a couple of years, but I think I recall hearing that the ideal power supply voltage was actually 5.1 volts. I'm not sure about that, so take it with a grain of salt. Perhaps someone more up-to-date than I can correct me if I'm remembering i wrong. 5.0 volts will work as long as you power supply can provide it at the required amps, and your USB cable can deliver it.

The official RPi PSU's are 5.1v, it's mostly to account for the fact there is a bit of voltage drop through the connection & regulator on the RPi board, so by they time the power gets to where it needs to be it can be closer to 5V still. How much drop you have varies quite a lot based on the quality of the PSU and cabling etc.

For a RPi 4, the official power supply is recommended to be 5V 3A - however power draw is not always the same. Stuff connected to the GPIO pins and USB ports can draw up to 1.2A - while I doubt your camera is drawing that much, if unplugging it makes the warning go away it's obviously having an impact somewhere.

Most of the time the Pi will draw less than 3A (closer to 1A if I remember right) when idling, but when streaming the webcam the power usage will increase, maybe tipping your setup over the edge?

1 Like

As long as I powerup my Ender 3 Pro before my raspberry pi with camera (pi+camera powered by 3A charger), I no longer see under voltage warnings.

1 Like

I got tired of the undervoltage problem. Bought a 5V10A power supply. I dialed it to 5.2V and am running two pi4's with cameras just fine.
Mean Well LRS-50-5 Switching Power Supply, Single Output, 5V, 10A, 50W, 3.9" L x 3.23" W x 1.18" H https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019GYOCMM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_2CX0DH33PMRMMP9TTFYP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank You. purchased a new power supply 3A and it works brilliant. Thank You...That was the best solution

So my final solution to this hair tearing problem was to
use a powered USB Hub (orico 7-port purchased locally)
upgrade the RPi power supply to 5 A (no name purchased locally)

works like a dream. I had no idea that the little RPi 4B could be such a snappy integral part of my print process.

For any future reads I am also running
Logitech C922 Pro StreamCam

works a treat, I want to thank especially @John_Mc @jferrari6803 @Charlie_Powell @bruceX who helped with this issue.

1 Like

Glad it worked out for you, 3NG.

A weak power supply and/or running peripherals is a very common cause of low voltage warnings on the Pi. Low voltage can cause all sorts of intermittent problems that can be tough to pinpoint, if someone assumes they are OK with their current power set up. This is exactly why the low voltage indicator was added to OctoPi.

And why it drives me up the wall whenever someone demands for the indicator to be removed because "it's obviously faulty since they cannot see any issues and it must be the indicator that's producing false positives" :roll_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.