Update to 1.4 stable don't use specific restart shell defined

Hi,

Just a comment ...
If a specific shell script is define to restart Octoprint (Linux Asustor NAS), the update to 1.4 stable run as well but restart don't used the specific shell (require by the system hosting Octoprint).
The workaround is easy, just wait to failed restart and use the button to restart (or use specific NAS internal command) ... but it's annoying, using the shell defined in settings / server / Commands permit to don't have this error. ... no reason that update forgot it ...

Philippe.

I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is.
So you want to launch a "specific shell" which is different from the system shell and in this shell you want to run a script to restart octoprint. Is that correct?

Hi,

Sorry if it's not clear ...
In the NAS the Linux command (like restart service or whatever) are not implemented
So to restart octoprint, we need a specific script (bash) ... this script is enter in settings / server / commands for "octoprint restart" ... it works as well if you select the top bar "system" icon / Restart Octoprint (other choice is in safe mode)
BUT when I update to 1.4 (from 1.3.12) at end a restart is done by the update process ... BUT this restart use the internal restart for octoprint NOT the script defined in settings ... so in this case (an Asustor NAS) the restart fail ... so this require an additional action to restart octoprint using the shell (menu system or by a usual shell command).

So my remark is : why the update mechanism don't use the octoprint restart command define in settings for restart octoprint ... if we define a shell script ... it's for a valid reason (I hope).

Philippe.

No, it doesn't. It uses exactly that command, at least it has been doing that since two or so years ago now. From what version where you updating? Because that's the version that matters for the update process, not what you where upgrading to.

See also here.

Also - what's the command? Does it maybe require a shell context? It doesn't have that on update restarts.

Hi,

OK ... so I have to return in 1.3.12 and redo a test
The shell is simple and have a full context (full PATH, etc.) and it works with Octoprint before the update (when restart is require for some plugins for ex.)
F.Y.I. command is : /opt/bin/octo_start.sh reload ${USER}
... octo_start.sh is the shell to start / stop /restart manually octoprint in a terminal (or at boot time) in the NAS environement.
... reload is a restart in detached shell (nohup) to prevent some blocking due to launch done bu octoprint itself
... ${USER} it's to stop only the octoprint running and requiring the restart (multiple octoprint running in parallel) under different users , so I can have different version for each user / or each user can manage a different printer.

I have build the port of Octoprint on Asustor NAS, so I have a better knowledge on Linux : NAS specific and bash than in Python ...

Philippe.

Well that's a very specific use case.
I don't know what to do about it but thanks for letting us know :slight_smile:

Hi,

Don't spend time on this ... as you write it's very specific (even octoprint code is not changed) but the environment is Linux but not complete as a "standard" distribution. AND an easy workaround exist ... so

I will redo test and if I discover something (including error done by me) I will return here to inform you.

Just ... thanks for octoprint it's very useful and works very well (for my usage) using a NAS permit me to manage multiple printers and multiple webcams with enough power to use the "normal" functions of a NAS ... stl files and gcode are directly on it (from desktop via shared resources) ... so an easy way running 7/7 24/24 (as a NAS is build for).

Best regards.
Philippe.