Updated Webcam Settings Results in Octoprint Lag

Camera model Nexigo N60

What is the problem? Updated octopi.txt to -r 1920x1080 -f 30

What did you already try to solve it? Restarted Octoprint

Logs (/var/log/webcamd.log, syslog, dmesg, ... no logs, no support)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, ...)

Just updated my webcam settings in Octoprint and now Octoprint seems to be lagging more. Should I just reduce the webcam settings to 720p?

What do you mean by OctoPrint is lagging?
Do you mean just the webinterface or is your printer also stuttering?

If you mean the webinterface - that's because either your browser or your pc can't handle the webcam stream or because the network connection to the Pi is overloaded.
That doesn't mean you got a bad pc. Those high quality streams just use a lot of data.

If the webinterface is lagging all the time - even if you don't look at the camera feed - then a plugin probably loaded the stream in background.
Try to start OctoPrint in safe mode and if that helps try to disable plugins that could cause that issue.
For example iirc Camera Settings loads the stream in background.

But if you just have that issue while watching the stream try to watch it for example in the vlc player.
Open http://octopi.local/webcam/?action=stream as network stream.

Nope, the preview shown in Camera Settings is only shown when the settings window is open. It's 'smart' like the control tab, after you close the settings the preview is disabled again.

1 Like

The entire interface was lagging, but now it's just the camera. Frames are not as smooth anyway. I had plugged in a Microsoft LifeCam initially and it worked immediately out of the box. No stutters or anything. Modified the octopi.txt file to higher resolution with Nexigo N60 and it seems to be stuttering/lagging more when viewing from local area network browser and OctoPod via OctoEverywhere away from home.

That sounds like you are just reaching the limits of your network/wifi. 1080p at 30fps takes quite a bit of bandwidth when streamed as mjpg...

You can try to reduce the framerate and/or resolution.