Vinyl Cutter with octroprint

What is the problem?

I would like to connect a Vinyl Cutter wirelessly. Is that possible with octoprint?

I heard the laser cutter Mr. Beam is using an adapte version of octoprint so I think it should be possible to connect any machine.

What did you already try to solve it?

** I googeld a bit and found how to turn a pi into a wireless usb hub

Does the vinyl cutter has a USB Type B port? If so, it would probably be best to use that instead.

yes it has a usb type b in put. there I would put a usb cable to a raspberry pi with octopi

If I were you, I'd go that route for a while and see if this is a workable solution for you. If everything seems to be worth the effort and you're really good with terse Linux commands then you might try to tackle the wireless setup later, noting that it still needs another Pi attached to the cutter and a modification in a later version of OctoPrint.

Its been around 16-17 months now, how has your project going? Did you get octoprint to run on the vinyl cutter? I am planning a similar thing with the pi communicating via usb b.

No I have not continued with this.

if it's still on your todo-list:
If it's a G-Code driven cutter, you could try bCNC as front end on your Pi.

1 Like

Thank you and sorry for the late reply! Could u provide maybe more info on how to do that?

This forum is primarily for OctoPrint related discussions and most of the expertise here is targeted towards that.

If instead of OctoPrint, you wish to use bCNC instead, then I suggest that you google bcnc raspberry pi and follow some of those links. You should be able to find one or more forums where expertise in bCNC hangs out.

1 Like

Has anyone tried to further this idea? I mean best I can tell the difference is a minimally traveling Z with X being the machine capability and Y being infinite ~ essentially something like that.