VNC Slicer without desktop environemt

What is the problem?

I'm setting up a printer for a friend who doesn't have a computer at the moment (just an Android phone) so we need somewhere to slice.

My idea is to run Prusa Slicer* over VNC to the Android, but I'd like to do it without the overhead of a desktop environment, so when they're printing there's nothing else running, and when they're slicing there's no wasted resources on a DE.
This is linux so I'm sure there's a way to do it, I just don't have enough knowledge of how the X server works.

To recap:
When I open a VNC connection to the pi it should launch the slicer and serve it without a desktop, and when I close the connection it should kill the process

Thank you :slight_smile:

*This guy does aarch64 builds, but lscpu says I have an armv7l which is 32bit, but the 3B+ is supposed to be 64bit. According to this I might have to compile my own kernel? That's not my main concern, I'll figgure that out separatly

What did you already try to solve it?

I've looked at a few online slicers but they're not ideal, and tried the Internal Slicer plugin which is broken rn :frowning:

Systeminfo Bundle

I don't think this is relevant to this, but here you go anyway
octoprint-systeminfo-20240703101119.zip (285.6 KB)

Additional information about your setup

• OctoPrint version: 1.10.2
  • OctoPi version: Build 2024.06.18.085851 with "webcamd", based on OctoPi 1.0.0
  • Pi Version: 3B+ 1.3
  • Printer: Ender 3 v2
  • Firmware: Marlin 2.1.2.4 2024-6-16

your friend could give Kiri:moto a try, which is a slicer that runs locally in your browser

1 Like

I'm pretty sure there's a way to compile command line prusaslicer and use slic3r plugin.

Ah, I see now what you mean about the 64 bit requirement. You could install a 64bit version of OctoPi you just have to download it directly.

https://github.com/guysoft/OctoPi/releases/tag/1.0.0