Waking up Pi using 3D Printer

Hi.

Totally new to Octoprint and Raspberry Pi's.
I have a question regarding connecting a switch to GPIO pins 5 &6 to boot the Pi after shutdown.
I connected jumper wires to these pins and sure enough the Pi booted into Octoprint when the pins were shorted.
So I have a possibly daft question.
Is it possible to connect pins 5&6 on the Pi to a spare endstop, mainly the E0DET connector on the SKR1.4 (Signal and ground) to boot the Pi from shutdown instead of connecting a switch etc to those pins?

Thanks.

Your first problem would be that the E0DET runs on 5V and the pis gpios on 3.3V.
Then the SKR doesn't "connect" those pins like a switch or a button does - it expects a switch on them.
So you would need something like a mosfet or a relay to get that working.
The next problem is that those pins will be shorted all the time and tbh I don't know if you should use the pi that way. I guess the wakeup was designed for a button or something else that shorts the pins just for a moment.

Btw which pi are you using?
If it's a pi 4 you should check its standby power consumption. My pi 4 draws almost the same amount of power in standby as it does in idle.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using the V3b.
I have now connected the Pi to my Alexa Smart Plug along with the printer using a dual output adapter.
That way the Pi boots up when the printer is switched on. I originally only had my printer on the smart plug.
This will suffice I think.

Thanks again.

Sounds good :slight_smile:

Happy printing :octopus:

1 Like

Power on is fine. Just make sure that the RPi is properly shutdown before power off. Failure to do so will eventually result in a corrupted (micro) SD card on the RPi.

The RPi uses so little power that I prefer to leave mine on all the time. I have my printer on a smart plug and manually turn it on and off. When I use the printer, it may be for one print or more often, a number of prints. Since the number is unknown, I don't want to automatically turn the printer off after each print.

Yeah cheers.
The printer only powers down when I tell it to.
This is to make sure the hotend has cooled right down (to avoid possible jams).
Also I make sure there is no more SD card activity after shutting down the system from within Octoprint. I then tell Alexa to turn it off.
But I may change it back to keep Octoprint running and simply shutdown the camera.