Webcam detected, but not working

Hello.
I'm new here.
it's a month that i use Octoprint without any problem, but today i decided to install a webcam.
tryed it, folowed some guide how to configure it, but not working.
the cam is detected by lsusb, but not working.

Camera model SN9C201

What is the problem? detected, but not working

What did you already try to solve it?

Logs (/var/log/webcamd.log, syslog, dmesg, ...)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, ...) Latest Octoprint with Raspberry Zero W

no one?
i can't find a solution :frowning:

I'm guessing that some people might be thinking that you've under-powered your OctoPrint installation with a one-core processor/512MB RAM (Pi Zero) instead of the recommended four-core/1GB RAM+ styles (Pi 3B, 3B+, 4B). Even if you got this working, it might result in blobby print jobs since your Pi will be too busy streaming video instead of streaming gcode.

1 Like

probably it's right, but the question is why it's detected, but not working?!
Even then, if it works, I'll upgrade to pi3..

Detecting a cam does not need that much CPU power, handling the data from the cam on the other hand way needs much more CPU power.

It doesn't appear on the webcams known to work list provided by foosel. Technically, OctoPrint doesn't include webcam support; that's provided as a best-effort by the people managing the OctoPi image itself. The underlying functionality is via the mjpg_streamer service. Searching the Issues on that repository turns up nothing that anyone has talked about.

Searching the Internet for both terms yields this. So basically, nobody has ever successfully installed your brand of webcam using mjpg_streamer and lived to tell about it.

Oh :frowning:
Sad news :frowning:

Thanks a lot for your patience :pray:

If you want to tinker you can try to use the cam with motion and its webserver. Some ppl say it works with motion.
Afaik motion has no snapshot option but at least you got a livestream.