What is the proper way to shut down OctoPrint and the Raspberry Pi?

What is the problem?

What is the proper way to shut down the system? When I shut down the system either with the Plugin via shutdown button or the "shutdown" command. When I start it back up without a reboot, for some reason when I start a print, after a couple of minutes it sends commands to the printer to shutoff the nozzle and bed temperatures.

What did you already try to solve it?

Only works when I do a complete reboot

Have you tried running in safe mode?

No

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

WRITE HERE
Everything is the latest firmware.

Wait a minute: When you shutdown the Pi, you always have to reboot.

All the shutdown features of OctoPrint/OctoPi (from the navbar, via plugin etc) end in the system command shutdown of the Pi OS.

Or do you mean, you startup your system and the start a print from SD card and after some time the printer is reset?

If it is this, then it is because after OctoPrint ends the startup sequence, it tried to connect to the printer. This in the very most cases results in resetting the printer.

Either disconnect the printer from the Pi if you want to print from SD card or just wait until OctoPrint completely ends the startup sequence.

1 Like

Ewald,

Thanks for the help. What I usually do is shutdown the system, the next day I just turn on the Pi and wait for the start up sequence to finish before I connect to OctoPrint, that is correct, no?

Waiting until OctoPrint is fully started up is usually the recommended way.

Most users (me too) just keep OctoPrint just running.

:ok_hand:t2: