Which protocol 3d printer and raspberry pi?

Hello folks !

I am going to buy 3D printer. I am planning to controlling 3D printer with Raspberry Pi. How will 3D printer and raspberry communicate? What should be the characteristics of the printer I will get? Is it enough to have a USB port on the control card?

In most set ups - yes. The raspberry pi will connect to your printer via USB.

I think the better question is...how much are you looking to spend/ What is your budget?

1 Like

ı will buy anet a8 or prusa i3 basic one . ıs ıt enough to connect with raspberry pi 3 ? how ı can connect them ?

Your printer should have a micro or mini usb port on it you can then use a micro/mini usb to USB cable to connect it to the USB port of the raspberry pi

Thanks guys. So ıf ı buy a basic 3d printer and Raspberry Pi 3 , where should ı start ? I do not know anything about this things. I need to make practice. Can you give me advice for starting ?[quote="Gokhan_KARABAG, post:1, topic:3817, full:true"]
Hello folks !

I am going to buy 3D printer. I am planning to controlling 3D printer with Raspberry Pi. How will 3D printer and raspberry communicate? What should be the characteristics of the printer I will get? Is it enough to have a USB port on the control card?
[/quote]

Thanks guys. So ıf ı buy a basic 3d printer and Raspberry Pi 3 , where should ı start ? I do not know anything about this things. I need to make practice. Can you give me advice for starting ? @geekkid @pingywon

You should read the OctoPi page itself. It indicates the basic setup for the microSD card which goes into the Raspberry Pi 3B itself.

@OutsourcedGuru has given you all the information I think you should need in terms of setting up the Pi. I know that this all can sound complex when you read but once you do it it's actually fairly easy and all the hard work has been done for you by the developers of octoprint.

Nearly all 3d printers will work with octoprint but it might be worth running the printer you planning on buying past this forum first.

If you need any more help please don't hesitate to ask :smile: